June 22, 2009
SAN BRUNO, CA - With the conclusion of the 2008-09 academic year, the West Coast Conference is proud to announce the eighth annual Commissioner's Honor Roll, which recognizes those student-athletes that possess at least a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. Eight hundred and fifty four student-athletes, who participated in one of the WCC's 13 sponsored sports, were honored from the league's eight member institutions. This marks a record for the conference as the previous best total was 849 in 2006-07. It also beats out last year's total with over 100 more student-athletes recognized.
"I would like to congratulate all of our student-athletes who made this year's WCC Commissioner's Honor Roll," said West Coast Conference Commissioner Jamie Zaninovich."This season, we saw a dramatic improvement in the number of honorees to this list which speaks to our member institution's continued dedication to promoting well-rounded student-athletes."
Only grades earned at WCC institutions may be used in calculating the grade point average for this award. To be considered for this honor, student-athletes must meet the following requirements:
1) Individuals must have earned a varsity letter in a sport which the conference determined a champion in the recently completed academic year.
2) The cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 must be based on a 4.0 scale.
3) The individuals must have successfully completed an average of at least 12 graded credit hours (non pass-fail hours) per term.
The Conference recognizes the student-athletes in three separate designations:
1) 4.00-3.75 - Gold Honors
2) 3.74-3.50 - Silver Honors
3) 3.49-3.00 - Bronze Honors