{{ article.title }}

Santa Clara Falls at Stanford in NCAA Second Round

| TheW.tv | WCC on Instagram | WCC on Facebook


PALO ALTO, Calif. – In the second round of the NCAA tournament, Santa Clara men's soccer fell at No. 7 Stanford 3-1 Sunday evening. The Broncos were able to jump out to an early lead and led at the half but three second half goals for Stanford were too much to overcome.

Dylan Autran led Santa Clara (11-8-1, 5-1-1 WCC) with their lone goal midway through the opening half. Alfie Edmonds and Carlos Delgadillo both picked up an assist. Kendall McIntoshmade seven saves.

"I'm so proud of the team for all they accomplished this year," said Santa Clara head coach Cameron Rast. "This is just a starting point for us with a lot of young guys at key positions coming back. Our senior five were fantastic this year when it mattered most. A great credit to them for everything they gave to our program."

Stanford (15-2-2, 7-1-2 Pac 12) was led by Amir Bashti who scored two goals, including the game-winner, and Brandon Vincent whose goal tied the game. Jordan Morris added an assist. Andrew Epstein picked up two saves.

"Stanford was very aggressive in the first half and I thought we managed that very well," said Rast. "They kept coming at us and credit to them in that second half tonight. That never let us settle in and they scored some really nice goals."

The Broncos were propelled by a large contingent of fans that made the trip up the peninsula.

"We want to thank our fans for coming out today," said Rast. "They were just as loud, or louder, than the Stanford fans. I love being on the road and having it feel like a home game. We're very happy to have advanced in the tournament."

The Broncos took a 1-0 lead in the 28th minute on some nice play near the box. Delgadillo sent a ball into the center at the top of the box that Edmonds tipped to the feet of Autran who blasted a shot. The shot hit a defender and the spin redirected the ball into the side of the net opposite the keeper.

Minutes after a great chance for the Cardinal that was denied by the Bronco defense, Stanford knotted the game at 1-all on a free kick. A foul just outside the right side of the box set up the kick that was taken by Vincent. He hit it with his left foot just inside the far post in a spot where McIntosh had no chance.

Stanford took the lead for the first time in the 75th minute. Ty Thompson blasted a shot that McIntosh was able to save but couldn't corral. The rebound popped into the air and Bashti headed it into the empty net to make it 2-1 Cardinal.

The best chance to tie the game for Santa Clara came in the 84th minute off a free kick from just outside the top of the box. Autran stuck a good shot but it went just over the crossbar.

The Cardinal added an insurance goal in the 87th minute to take a 3-1 lead. Bashati was able to find the back of the net for second time on the night to put the game away.