March 4, 2008
WCC/Rawlings Player of the Week
Kyle Jensen, Saint Mary's
Kyle Jensen led Saint Mary's to a perfect 6-0 record last week, including wins over Stanford, UC Davis, and a four-game sweep of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. The sophomore batted .476 (10-for-21) with two home runs, while scoring seven runs and driving in six on the week. Jensen started the week with a 2-for-4 performance in Monday's win at Stanford, and accounted for 11 of Saint Mary's 26 runs in the series against the Panthers. Six of Jensen's 10 hits on the week went for extra bases.
WCC/Rawlings Pitcher of the Week
AJ Griffin, San Diego
Sophomore closer AJ Griffin earned saves in three of San Diego's four wins last weekend, with two of his saves coming against ranked opponents. Griffin notched his first save against then-No. 10 Long Beach State, then saved both ends of Friday's doubleheader against Cal Poly and then-No. 24 Fresno State. The right-hander racked up 11 strikeouts in just 6.2 innings of work, including five strikeouts in two innings against the Bulldogs, and did not concede and earned run.
USC at Pepperdine - 2:00 PM
Oregon State at Portland - 2:00 PM
San Jose State at San Francisco - 2:00 PM
San Diego at UC Irvine - 6:00 PM
Fresno State at Santa Clara - 6:00 PM
LMU at Long Beach State - 6:30 PM
Stanford at Saint Mary's - 2:00 PM
San Francisco at UC Davis - 2:00 PM
Pepperdine at USC - 7:00 PM
1 Portland vs. Utah Valley - 10:00 AM
1 Portland vs. UC Davis - 2:00 PM
2 Santa Clara at San Diego - 2:00 PM
2 LMU vs. Oklahoma State - 6:00 PM
2 LMU vs. Oregon State - 2:00 PM
Columbia at Pepperdine - 2:00 PM
1 Portland at Sacramento State - 2:00 PM
2Oklahoma State at San Diego - 2:00 PM
San Francisco at UNLV - 5:30 PM
Gonzaga at Pacific - 6:00 PM
Saint Mary's at UCLA - 6:00 PM
2 Santa Clara at San Diego State - 6:00 PM
1 Portland vs. San Jose State - 10:00 AM
Columbia at Pepperdine (DH) - 11 AM/TBA
2 Oregon State at San Diego - 11:00 AM
San Francisco at UNLV - 1:00 PM
Gonzaga at Pacific - 2:00 PM
Saint Mary's at UCLA - 2:00 PM
2 Santa Clara vs. Oklahoma State - 3:00 PM
2 LMU vs. San Diego State - 7:00 PM
San Francisco at UNLV - 12:00 PM
Gonzaga at Pacific - 1:00 PM
2 LMU at San Diego - 1:00 PM
Columbia at Pepperdine - 1:00 PM
Saint Mary's at UCLA - 1:00 PM
2 Santa Clara vs. Oregon State - 2:00 PM
1 River City Classic (Sacramento/Davis, CA); 2 San Diego StateTournament (San Diego, CA)
WCC Team Notes
Gonzaga Bulldogs (3-5 / 0-0 WCC)
- Gonzaga captured the first three games of a four-game set with BYU before falling to the Cougars in Saturday's series finale to improve to 3-5 on the season.
- Freshman Jason Chatwood homered in back-to-back at bats to lead Gonzaga to a 19-12 win over the Cougars on Thursday. The shortstop drove in 10 runs in the series against BYU, including a five-RBI performance in Saturday's 13-9 loss.
- Tyson Van Winkle batted .444 (8-for-18) in the series with BYU, scoring three runs and driving in seven. Van Winkle enters the week batting .429 (9-for-21) on the season with one home run and seven RBI.
- Gonzaga looks to get back on the winning track this week, as the Zags travel to Northern California to battle Pacific in a three-game series.
Loyola Marymount Lions (3-5/ 0-0 WCC)
- The Lions fell to then-No. 20 UC Irvine and then-No. 15 ranked Cal State Fullerton before opening their home slate with a four-game split against UC Santa Barbara over the weekend.
- Kyle Spraker led the Lions at the plate last week, batting .400 (8-for-20) with two doubles and two runs scored through six games. The transfer from California was perfect on three steal attempts, and enters the week with a team-high five swipes on the season.
- Martin Viramontes struck out 13 Gaucho batters in his first official collegiate start, as the freshman went 6.1 innings and surrendered just two earned runs in Saturday's 6-2 loss.
- The Lions travel to No. 9 Long Beach State (3/4) before heading to the SDSU Tournament, where they will meet No. 20 Oklahoma State (3/6), No. 12 Oregon State (3/7), San Diego State (3/8), and No. 17 San Diego (3/9).
Pepperdine Waves (5-2 / 0-0 WCC)
- The Waves topped UC Riverside last Tuesday and traveled to the Minnesota Dairy Queen Classic where they defeated then-No. 18 Tulane and TCU, before falling to the host Gophers on Sunday.
- Chase d'Arnaud was named to the Dairy Queen Classic All-Tournament Team along with Nathan Newman, Bryce Mendonca, and Eric Thames. d'Arnaud batted .417 last week, slugging two home runs and collecting five RBI.
- Thames is currently riding a six-game hitting streak, and is batting .440 with three multi-hit games during that stretch.
- Pepperdine will play a two-game midweek set with USC, hosting the Trojans on Tuesday and traveling to Dedeux Field for a Wednesday tilt. The Waves will then host Columbia for a four-game series at Eddy D. Field Stadium this weekend.
Portland Pilots (6-3 / 0-0 WCC)
- Portland enjoyed an outstanding week, putting together a 4-1 mark including a 3-1 performance at the Coca Cola Classic in Tempe, AZ. The Pilots notched victories over Northern Illinois, then-No. 8 ranked Michigan, and Hawaii before falling short against No. 1 ranked Arizona State on Sunday, 5-2.
- Four of Portland's nine games have gone extra innings this season, with the Pilots winning three straight following a season-opening defeat to BYU in 11 innings.
- Freshman Riley Henricks and junior transfer Bryant Kraus are leading the Pilots at the plate, as the newcomers each enter the week batting .395 (25-for-38).
- UP hosts No. 12 Oregon State (3/4) before traveling to the River City Classic, where they will meet Utah Valley (3/6), UC Davis (3/7), Sacramento State (3/8), and San Jose State (3/9).
Saint Mary's Gaels (7-1 / 0-0 WCC)
- Saint Mary's posted a 6-0 record on the week, notching mid-week wins at Stanford and UC Davis before sweeping a four-game series against Wisconsin-Milwaukee at The Guisto over the weekend.
- Scott Schneider earned two victories on the mound for the Gaels last week. The sophomore dealt six innings and allowed just one earned run against Stanford before striking out seven batters in seven innings of work in Sunday's win over Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
- Kyle Jensen clubbed a pair of home runs in Friday's 9-4 win over the Panthers, capping a 3-for-5, three RBI performance. Jensen enters the week batting a team-high .538 (14-for-26), and is tied for the team lead with seven RBI.
- The Gaels host No. 25 ranked Stanford (3/5) before traveling to No. 3 ranked UCLA for a three-game set this weekend.
San Diego Toreros (5-4 / 0-0 WCC)
- San Diego went 4-2 on the week, notching three wins over ranked opponents. The Toreros knocked off then-No. 10 Long Beach State on Tuesday before registering wins over then-No. 24 Fresno State and then-No. 5 Missouri in the USD Tournament.
- Josh Romanski provided the heroics in Friday's 3-2 win over Cal Poly, slugging a three-run home run and surrendering just one earned run in six innings of work on the mound. Romanski enters the week batting .344 (11-for-32) with a team-high three home runs and 10 RBI.
- Matt Couch picked up his second win of the season, as the right-hander struck out seven batters in 7.1 innings in Saturday's 5-4 win over then-No. 5 ranked Missouri.
- USD will travel to No. 13 UC Irvine (3/4) before meeting Santa Clara (3/6), No. 20 Oklahoma State (3/7), No. 12 Oregon State (3/8), and LMU (3/9) at the SDSU Tournament.
San Francisco Dons (3-5 / 0-0 WCC)
- San Francisco won its third straight game at Sacramento State, 12-4, before suffering a three-game sweep at then-No. 20 ranked UC Irvine over the weekend.
- Kyle Morgan put together an outstanding performance at the plate against the Hornets, reaching base in all three plate appearances and clubbing a three-run home run. The senior also walked twice, and scored three runs on the afternoon.
- Evan Fredrickson earned his first victory in a San Francisco uniform against Sacramento State, as the transfer from Virginia Tech tossed five innings and struck out nine batters to earn the win.
- The Dons host San Jose State (3/4) in their home opener before traveling to UC Davis (3/5) and UNLV for a three-game weekend series.
Santa Clara Broncos (6-1 / 0-0 WCC)
- Santa Clara continued its solid start to the new season, registering a mid-week win at Pacific before taking two-of-three from cross-town rival San Jose State over the weekend.
- Four Broncos slugged home runs last week, with Jon Karcich and Matt Long each clubbing two round-trippers. Evan LeBlanc and Brady Fuerst also hit dingers, with LeBlanc hitting a grand slam in Saturday's contest at San Jose State.
- Alex Rivers nailed down his first two saves of the season against the Spartans. The sophomore tossed 4.1 innings in the two relief appearances, striking out four batters and surrendering just two hits.
- The Broncos host Fresno State (3/4) before meeting No. 17 San Diego (3/6), San Diego State (3/7), No. 20 Oklahoma State, and No. 12 Oregon State (3/9) at the SDSU Tournament.