{{ article.title }}

WCC Men's Basketball Recaps

Jan. 6, 2007

Gonzaga - 97
Loyola Marymount - 62

SPOKANE, Wash. - Sean Mallon scored a career-high 23 points and Derek Raivio added 22 to lead Gonzaga past Loyola Marymount 97-62 in a West Coast Conference opener Saturday.

Mallon went 9 for 10 from the field and had nine rebounds, one off his career high for Gonzaga (10-6, 1-0 WCC).

The Bulldogs had lost four straight, their longest losing streak since 1997.

Matthew Knight led Loyola Marymount (8-9, 0-1) with 19 points and seven rebounds.

The Lions have lost four straight games overall, and eight straight to Gonzaga.

Raivio scored six points during a 14-0 Gonzaga run to open the second half. He Raivio also set a school record by sinking his 42nd consecutive free throw.

Gonzaga led only 40-35 before Raivio's layin at the end of the first half. The Bulldogs shot a season-high 61 percent from the field and tied their season high for points.

The Lions shot 35 percent from the floor.

Gonzaga has won 46 straight home games, the longest active streak in NCAA Division I, and 24 straight WCC games.

Jeremy Pargo had 11 points and seven assists for the Bulldogs. Josh Heytvelt came off the bench for the first time this season and totaled 10 points and eight rebounds for Gonzaga.

Portland - 73
Pepperdine - 69

PORTLAND, Ore. - Senior guard Darren Cooper scored a game-high 19 points as the University of Portland men's basketball team opened its West Coast Conference season with a win Saturday night, topping Pepperdine 73-69 in front of 1,501 fans at the Chiles Center. The Pilots improve to 5-12 (1-0 WCC) while the Waves fall to 4-13 (0-1 WCC).

The win was anything but easy for the home Pilots, who led by 10 early in the first half before settling into a tug of war battle to the end.

Portland led by five with less than a minute to play, but Pepperdine senior guard Marvin Lea made a circus layup and was fouled, converting a three-point play to make it 71-69 with 54 seconds remaining. The Waves stole the ball and had a three-on-two break with a chance to tie, but Willie Galick's layup attempt was blocked by Pilot sophomore guard Marcus Carter and Portland's Ben Sullivan snagged the rebound. Sullivan was fouled and drained both free throws to clinch the game.

Cooper led four Pilots in double figures, while adding four assists and tying a career-high with seven rebounds. Sullivan had 14 points off the bench, while Sherrard Watson and Jamie Jones added 13 and 12, respectively. Jones added four steals and three blocked shots.

For Pepperdine, Chase Griffin led the way with 17 points, while Marvin Lea and Kingsley Costain each scored 15. Costain tied a Chiles Center record by shooting 16 three-pointers, connecting on five. As a team, the Waves attempted 40 three-pointers, setting a new Chiles Center record.

The Pilots held Pepperdine to 13 points below their season average and limited the Waves to 35.5 percent shooting from the field, including 29.4 percent in the second half.

"Our defense was solid against a very good offensive team," Portland head coach Eric Reveno said. "We handled their dribble penetration and contested most of their jumpers. I thought the guys did an excellent job of following the game plan."

Portland shot 49 percent from the field and held a 40-28 rebounding advantage. The Pilots owned a 38-18 margin in points in the paint. The Waves countered by forcing 24 turnovers and gaining a 22-14 edge in points off giveaways.

"In that style of game, you can live with the inflated turnover numbers," Reveno added. "They put so much pressure on you to make plays, but if you're not aggressive, you don't make them pay. I thought we attacked the basket well and our field goal percentage and assist numbers compensated for the turnovers."

Portland now shifts its focus to the Loyola Marymount Lions who will visit the Chiles Center on Monday at 8 p.m. The game will be televised nationally live on ESPNU.

"It feels good to be 1-0 in conference, but we don't have the luxury of time off to savor the feeling," Reveno said. "We are still a work in progress with little margin for error."

San Francisco- 103
San Diego - 100

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - Antonio Kellogg sank a 3-pointer with seven seconds left in the second overtime to lift San Francisco to an improbable 103-100 victory over San Diego on Saturday night.

Kellogg scored 35 of his career high 37 points after halftime, including 18 in the two overtimes. He banked in a 3-pointer with no time remaining to send the game into overtime, sparking an on-court celebration.

Kellogg's 3-pointer with 24 seconds in the first overtime put the Dons up 90-87, but the Toreros' Brandon Johnson answered with his own 3-pointer with nine seconds left, putting the game into a second overtime.

Alan Wiggins, Manny Quezada and Armondo Surratt each scored 15 for the Dons (5-11, 1-0 WCC), who ended a seven-game losing streak. Danny Cavic scored 11.

Ross DeRogatis and Johnson each scored 23 points for the Toreros (9-6, 0-1), who lost their second straight since winning seven in a row. Gyno Pomare added 21 and Nir Cohen had 13.

Kellogg hit a 3-pointer with 51 seconds remaining to give San Francisco its first lead of the second half at 75-74. Pomare got position inside 21 seconds later, making a tough layup and adding a free throw to set up Kellogg's heroics.

The Dons scored 100 points for the first time since the 1994-95 season.

Santa Clara - 76
Saint Mary's - 69

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Sean Denison made all eight of his field-goal tries and scored 12 of his 20 points in the second half, leading Santa Clara past Saint Mary's 76-69 on Saturday night in the West Coast Conference opener for both teams.

Scott Dougherty added 13 points as Santa Clara snapped a four-game losing streak to its Bay Area rival. John Bryant, Santa Clara's 6-foot-10 sophomore, had 16 points, nine rebounds and three blocks after being held to one rebound in a 78-48 loss to No. 20 Air Force on Dec. 29 in the Cable Car Classic hosted by the Broncos.

Denison scored four straight points in an 11-3 run midway through the second half that gave Santa Clara a 64-54 lead with 7 minutes left. Longtime Broncos coach Dick Davey moved past former Gonzaga coach Dan Fitzgerald into second place on the WCC all-time list with 113 wins.

Brett Collins scored 19 points with three 3-pointers and Wayne Hunter had 12 points for the Gaels, who shot 8-for-20 from 3-point range.

Brody Angley added 14 points, six rebounds and five assists and Danny Pariseau dished out seven assists and grabbed key rebounds late for the Broncos (11-5, 1-0 WCC), who have won four of their last five conference openers.

Santa Clara came in holding opponents to a WCC-low 62.5 points per game, and the Broncos picked up the pressure on defense over the final 20 minutes. The Gaels also missed key free throws down the stretch.

Saint Mary's (8-9, 0-1) had won two straight after a four-game losing streak during their tough non-conference schedule.

The Gaels won all three meetings last year, eliminating the Broncos from the WCC tournament in the quarterfinals with a 76-72 overtime win last March - the fourth time in five years Saint Mary's had done so. The Gaels beat the Broncos in the previous two games played at Santa Clara's Leavey Center.

Saint Mary's started the game 0-for-9 before John Winston bounced in a 14-footer at 15:18. The Gaels missed 14 of their first 16 shots. But after Bryant's three-point play for the Broncos at 11:20, the Gaels used a 15-0 run and held Santa Clara scoreless for nearly 4 minutes. The Broncos answered with a 7-0 run of their own.

Saint Mary's shot 31 percent in the first half but hit six 3-pointers for a 36-34 lead at the break after Angley hit a long jumper at the buzzer.