{{ article.title }}

WCC Men's Basketball Recaps

Jan. 27, 2007

Gonzaga - 72
San Francisco - 56

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - Matt Bouldin scored eight of his 16 points during a decisive second-half surge that carried Gonzaga to a 72-56 victory over San Francisco Saturday and helped extend the nation's longest homecourt winning streak to 48 games.

Josh Heytfelt finished with 16 points and Derek Raivio had 14 for the Bulldogs (14-7 overall, 5-1 West Coast).

Gonzaga hit five 3-pointers during a 21-4 burst to open the second half against the Dons (7-14, 3-3). Manny Quezada and Danny Cavik led the way for San Francisco with 16 points apiece.

After a foul shot by Jay Watkins moments into the second half pulled the Dons within five, 30-25, Bouldin's short jumper started the Gonzaga run and Heytfelt's 3-pointer ended it, leaving the Bulldogs up 51-28 with 14:10 left. Bouldin, who had missed 16 straight 3-pointers, went 6-for-7 from the field including 4-for-5 from beyoind the arc.

The Dons, who shot just 35 percent from the floor, never got closer than 16 the rest of the way.

After early struggles from the floor (4-of-13) and with turnovers (10), Gonzaga got its act together midway through the first half.

The Bulldogs hit 6 of 7 shots during one stretch and outscored San Francisco 25-10 during a more than 10-minute span to take a 29-17 lead on a dunk from Abdullahi Kuso with 4:15 left.

San Francisco rallied, getting a 3-pointer and two foul shots from Quezada that helped close the gap to six, 30-24, at the half.

Jeremy Pargo finished with 11 points, a career high 11 assists and five rebounds for Gonzaga, which has won 26 consecutive home games against conference opponents and extended the nation's longest home court winning streak to 48 games.

The Bulldogs, who finished 12 of 26 from 3-point range, have beaten San Francisco 16 of the last 17 and the Dons haven't won in Spokane since 1989.

San Francisco, which has dropped three straight, played without scoring leader Antonio Kellogg (15.1 ppg), a transfer guard from Connecticut who missed the trip for academic reasons.

Loyola Marymount - 74
Santa Clara - 71

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Santa Clara came back from a 14-point first half deficit to take a six-point lead with 11 minutes left, but Loyola Marymount hung tough to pull out a 74-71 win at the Leavey Cetner. The Broncos shot 50 percent from the floor for the game, but they could not get their fourth straight win.

Brody Angley had a three-point play with 27.7 seconds left to pull Santa Clara within 72-71, then Adoyah Miller missed two free throws on the other end and Santa Clara called timeout with 15.4 seconds left. But Joey Kaempf missed a long 3-pointer with 8 seconds to go and Max Craig pulled down the rebound for Loyola Marymount and was immediately fouled. Craig missed his first free throw at 6.9 seconds and made the second.

The Broncos had another chance and Angley missed a short off-balance jumper with under a second left.

Knight went down with a left knee injury with 3:31 to play but returned briefly to score another basket. He came down hard on the knee and fell to the ground again, causing the 6-foot-8 center to leave the game for good.

John Montgomery, son of former Stanford and Golden State Warriors coach Mike Montgomery, scored all seven of his points over the final 5:13 for Loyola Marymount.

Danny Pariseau and Scott Dougherty combined for seven of their team's 11 3-pointers and Santa Clara nearly overcame a 14-point first-half deficit. The Broncos had their three-game winning streak snapped.

Pariseau hit four 3-pointers on the way to 14 points before fouling out with 2:04 left and Dougherty added three 3s to finish with 13 points and seven rebounds. Angley scored 12 points.

It was a tough loss for Santa Clara (14-7, 4-2 WCC), which was off to its best start in nine years and came into the game in a first-place tie atop the West Coast Conference standings with Gonzaga and Saint Mary's.

Miller finished with 15 points but picked up two quick fouls against Sean Denison in the second half for the Lions (9-13, 1-5). They began the season 5-2, but have been slowed by injuries to several key players - including losing leading scorer Brandon Worthy to a season-ending knee injury after 13 games.

Dougherty's 3-pointer with 14:51 to play tied the game at 45. Kaempf broke a 49-all tie with a 3 at 11:28 and Mitch Henke connected from long range the next time down to give the Broncos a 55-49 lead. They couldn't hold it, and losing floor leader Pariseau in the waning moments didn't help.

Denison, Santa Clara's leading scorer, was held to one point in the first half and only attempted one shot. His first field goal was an emphatic dunk with 14:03 left and he finished with seven points and eight boards.

Santa Clara's 6-10 center John Bryant didn't start because of bronchitis, but had 12 points.

The Lions jumped out to an 8-0 lead before Pariseau's 3 got the Broncos on the board and started a 7-0 run, then Loyola Marymount went on an 11-0 run of its own.

Santa Clara retired the jersey of former great Ken Sears, who played for the Broncos from 1951-55, at halftime. Sears was the first basketball player ever to appear on Sports Illustrated's cover.

Santa Clara returns to the court Monday night as the Broncos face the Pepperdine Waves at 8:00 p.m. PT at the Leavey Center. The game will be broadcast live on television on ESPNU and on the radio on 1220 KNTS.

Pepperdine - 68
Saint Mary's - 66

Moraga, CA - After winning four straight West Coast Conference game, Saint Mary's suffered a 68-66 loss to the Pepperdine Waves on Saturday night to snap the streak and end the six-game winning streak the Gaels held over the Waves.

Diamon Simpson recorded a double-double with game-highs of 24 points and 10 rebounds and nearly had a triple double as he had a career-high eight blocked shots. Wayne Hunter, who had 10 points in 23 minutes, joined Simpson in double figures.

Kingsley Costain led the Waves with 22 points after coming off the bench. Costain was joined in double figures by Marvin Lea with 10.

Pepperdine opened a 15-point (32-17) first half lead before the Gaels rallied to cut into the Waves' (6-16) advantage. The Gaels would use a 19-6 run down the stretch to get within two (38-36) following a Simpson dunk to close the first half. Pepperdine was sparked by 5-10 guard Costain's 18 first half points.

Saint Mary's came out in the second half and took a 41-40 following a Todd Golden 3-pointer at the 17:45 mark of the second half. Golden entered the game shooting 71 percent from 3-point range during conference play, and made 2-of-3 shots from behind the arc for the Gaels.

The Gael seesawed over the next eight minutes until Pepperdine used a 6-0 run to take a 61-55 lead at the 7:27 mark following a Blake Wallace three. The Gaels would cut the lead to one twice down the stretch, but could not convert to take the lead. Trailing 67-66 with 2:38 left to play, the Gaels had two opportunities to take the lead, but Simpson and Golden missed shots.

Pepperdine's Marvin Lea gave the Waves a 68-66 lead after making one of two free throws with five seconds left. After Simpson grabbed the rebound after the missed free throw, John Winston missed a shot with time winding down. Simpson grabbed the rebounds, his 10th of the game and the second half, but missed the tip-in that would have given the Gaels a win.

Saint Mary's finished the game shooting 46.4 percent from the floor after shooting 51 percent in the first half. SMC out rebounded the Waves 35-30.

Saint Mary's will return to action on Monday night when the Gaels host the Loyola Marymount Lions at 7 p.m.

San Diego - 74
Portland - 70

PORTLAND, Ore. --- Sophomore guard Brandon Johnson scored a game-high 24 points to lead the San Diego Toreros to a 74-70 win over the Portland Pilots Saturday afternoon in front of 1,358 at the Chiles Center. Sophomore forward Jamie Jones led four Pilots in double figures with 15 points and seven rebounds.

The teams entered the contest tied for fifth-place in the West Coast Conference standings. The Toreros (13-8, 3-3) overcame a hot start by the Pilots (6-16, 2-4), snapping a two-game losing streak and extending Portland's winless streak to four games.

USD senior forward Nir Cohen added 15 points and 11 rebounds off the bench, and blocked a shot by Jones in the closing seconds to clinch the win. Sophomore forward Gyno Pomare, who entered the game averaging 19.4 points in WCC action, was held to 11 points and two rebounds.

Senior guard Darren Cooper finished with 14 points, but shot just 3-for-12 from the field. He made all six of his free throw attempts, giving him 24 consecutive over the last five games.

Freshman point guard Taishi Ito continued his solid play with 12 points, eight assists and just two turnovers in 38 minutes. Junior forward Sherrard Watson added 11 points and a career-high nine rebounds.

Johnson scored 19 second half points and gave the Toreros a 71-66 lead on a mid-range jumper with 1:24 remaining in regulation. Consecutive layups by Ben Sullivan and Jones made it 71-70 with 1:07 left. Portland forced a USD turnover and ran a play for Cooper with under 30 seconds remaining. He drove the middle and attacked the basket, but was called for an offensive foul. Cohen made one of two free throws on the ensuing possession with 18 ticks on the clock and the Pilots came out of a timeout with the same play for Cooper.

This time Cooper collapsed the defense and laid off a pass to Jones on the left side of the hoop. His first attempt was tied up by Cohen and his follow was blocked again by Cohen who grabbed the rebound and made both free throws to ice the game.

"I tried to get the guys to recognize that the last few plays are the ones that will resonate in their minds for the next few days, but the early turnovers and missed free throws were probably more damaging," Portland head coach Eric Reveno said.

After grabbing an early 16-8 lead by making seven of their first ten shot attempts, the Pilots let the Toreros back in the game with 11 first-half turnovers. USD led by three in the closing seconds of the period before Cooper made three straight free throws to make it 38-38 at the break.

For the game, Portland shot 44 percent and the Toreros 45 percent. The Pilots committed 15 turnovers in all and USD had 12. Portland owned the paint with a 40-18 advantage, helped by a 37-27 rebounding edge. The Toreros had an 18-11 margin in points off turnovers.

Portland struggled to a 14-for-23 effort at the foul line, while USD made 16-of-24 from the stripe.

"This was one you look back on and think you should have won," Reveno said. "But that's the nature of a hard-fought game; it could have gone either way. We're not going to dwell on the outcome. We need to focus on other areas, like taking better care of the ball."

Portland now shifts its focus to the San Francisco Dons, who will come to the Chiles Center on Monday, Jan. 29 at 7 p.m.