{{ article.title }}

WCC Men's Basketball Tournament Quarterfinal Recaps

March 3, 2007

San Diego - 77
San Francisco - 75

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Ross DeRogatis had 17 points and five rebounds and San Diego rallied from a 10-point first-half deficit then held off San Francisco 77-75 Saturday in the quarterfinals of the West Coast Conference Tournament.

Fifth-seeded San Diego (18-13) faces top-seeded Gonzaga in the semifinals on Sunday at the University of Portland's Chiles Center.

Manny Quezada had 16 points and five assists for the fourth-seeded Dons (13-18), who had defeated San Diego in both of the teams' regular season games.

The Toreros trailed by as many as 10 points, but climbed back into the lead in the second half. Danny Brown hit the second of consecutive 3-pointers, Nir Cohen made a layup and De'Jon Jackson had a tip-in to put San Diego ahead 67-58.

Quezada hit a layup for the Dons to close to within 74-70 with 25.13 seconds left. After three straight San Diego free throws put it all but out of reach, Danny Cavic hit a 3-pointer and Quezada added the final basket.

The two teams traded the lead throughout the first half. San Diego led early after Gyno Pomare's jumper made it 10-5. But the Dons kept it close and went ahead 23-21 on Armondo Surratt's 3-pointer with 7:12 to go.

Surratt had not played in San Francisco's previous six games because of a left knee injury.

San Francisco extended the lead to 34-24 on an 10-0 run capped by consecutive 3-pointers from Quezada and Johnny Dukes.

Brandon Johnson's 3-pointer for San Diego narrowed it to 36-29 at the half. Dukes led all scorers at the break with 11 points and five rebounds.

The Toreros closed the gap to open the second half and tied it at 41 on Ray Murdock's 3-pointer. But the Dons to 39-38 to open the second-half.

San Diego took a 45-43 lead, its first of the second half, on Gyno Pomare's layup. The Toreros went up 52-49 after leading scorer Ross DeRogatis hit a 3-pointer.

San Diego defeated Pepperdine 95-82 to advance to the quarterfinals. The Dons had a bye.

San Francisco tied for third in the conference standings this season but was seeded fourth because of a pair of losses to St. Mary's.

Saint Mary's - 87
Portland - 47

Portland, OR - Diamon Simpson notched his seventh double-double of the season and Brett Collins added 17 points to lead Saint Mary's to an 87-47 win over the host Portland Pilots in the second round of the 2007 West Coast Conference Tournament.

The 40-point win over the Pilots matched the largest margin of victory in the history of the WCC Tournament. It does set a Saint Mary's record for the largest margin of victory for Saint Mary's in the conference Tournament. The Gaels posted an 86-47 win over Portland in the 1989 WCC Tournament.

Simpson finished the game with 20 points and a season-high 14 rebounds to help Saint Mary's advance to the semifinals of the conference tournament for the sixth straight year. Of his game-high 14 rebounds, Simpson grabbed nine offensive rebounds. Simpson was 8-for-14 from the floor.

Collins also had a good shooting night, making 6-of-10 shots from the floor. He scored 13 of his 17 points in the first half after making 5-of-6 shots and made 3-of-his-43-point attempts in the first half. The only shot he missed in the first half was a 3-point attempts at the end of the first-half clock.

Nine of the 10 players that dressed for Saint Mary's scored and all nine of those players scored at least five points. The only player for SMC to not score was Todd Golden, who finished the game with three assists and one steal in 31 minutes. Wayne Hunter also finished in double figures with 10 points, all coming in the first half.

With the score 9-8 in favor of SMC, the Gaels went on a 12-4 run to open a 21-12 lead at the 10:10 mark of the first half. The run was sparked by Brett Collins' 10 points in a four minute stretch on two threes sandwiched around a big left-handed dunk at the 12:04 mark and a turnaround jumper from 15 feet.

Saint Mary's extended their lead to 29-18 following an intentional foul following a steal and a break away by SMC's Wayne Hunter. Hunter made one-of-two free throws and after regaining possession SMC extended the lead to 32-18 on a basket by Yusef Smith at the 5:22 mark.

With SMC leading 24-18 with 7:45 left to play, the Gaels closed the half with a 20-7 run to enter the locker room with a 44-23 lead. Collins scored 13 points on 5-of-6 shooting from the floor and 3-4 shooting from 3-point land in the first half. Hunter finished the first 20 minutes with 10 points, hitting three treys, and Simpson had seven points and seven rebounds, five on the offensive end.

In the last meeting between SMC and Portland, the Gaels were help to 47 points in the entire game, falling to the Pilots 55-47 on Feb. 12. Jamie Jones led the Pilots with 13 points after scoring all of his points in the first half.

After SMC scored the opening basket of the second half, Portland used a 12-4 run to cut SMC's lead to 50-35 with 13:42 left to play. From there the Gaels used a 15-0 run to extend its lead to 65-35 with 9:23 left. During the run, Simpson scored nine points.

Saint Mary's shot 56.7 percent from the floor after shooting just 28 percent against the Pilots last month. Also dominated the glass, as they out rebounded the Pilots 40-21. The Gaels had 15 offensive rebounds.

Saint Mary's will play in the late game on semifinal Sunday in the West Coast Conference Tournament. The Gaels' opponent will be the No. 2 seeded Santa Clara Broncos, who defeated Saint Mary's twice during the regular season. Santa Clara was the only team to sweep the Gaels this season.