March 28, 2007
Cuesta Title Men's Intercollegiate (3/28-3/30)
Cal Poly Invitational (3/29-3/30)
National Invitational Tournament(4/2-4/3)
Pacific Coast Invitational (4/2-4/3)
Gaucho Invitational (4/2-4/3)
Cowboy Classic (4/9-4/10)
Ping/ASU Invitational (3/30-4/1)
Peg Barnhard Invitational (4/6-4/7)
WCC GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS
April 16-17, 2007
La Purisima Golf Course - Lompoc, Calif.
The West Coast Conference Men's and Women's Golf Championships travel to La Purisima Golf Course in Lompoc, CA. The two-day event will take place on Monday, April 16 through Tuesday, April 17th. This season marks the 40th annual men's championship and the 11th annual women's championship.
WCC TEAM NOTES
- Freshman Brandon Crick finished second and Gonzaga University's men's golf team took third at the North South Intercollegiate that concluded on March 14th at Jacksonville Beach Golf Course. The third place showing is the Zags' best finish this season.
- Senior Mary Kate Morgan captured medalist honors at the Bobcat Desert Classic at Play Valley Golf Club, winning a playoff on March 14th.
- Junior Lacey Jo Manwaring also had an outstanding tournament, finishing tied for sixth two strokes off the lead at 227. Morgan and Manwaring helped the Bulldogs finish fourth at 926, including a final-round 303, for the Zags' best showing of the spring season.
- The GU women next play at the WCC Championships (4/16-17), while the Bulldog men next compete at the Cal Poly invitational on March 29-30th.
Loyola Marymount Lions
- Sophomore Brian Locke is ranked among the best in collegiate golf with a No. 68 ranking, according to GolfWeek/Sagarin Performance Index. He has a head-to-head record of 570-111-17 in winning both the Bill Cullum and Hawai'i Fall Intercollegiate. As a team, the Lions are ranked 107th.
- For the first time in school history, LMU earned back-to-back tournament victories. The Lions posted a three-round 873 (9-over par) to win the Bill Cullum Intercollegiate hosted by Cal State Northridge on Oct. 29-31 and then posted an even-par 864, their best score on the season, to win the Hawai'i Fall Intercollegiate hosted by Hawai'i on Nov. 6-8. Locke took home individual title honors in both tournaments
- Loyola Marymount will play in their final tournament leading into the West Coast Conference Championships in April with a trip to the 2007 Cuesta Title Cal Poly Intercollegiate on March 29-30.
- Pepperdine's women's golf team was last in action at the UCF Collegiate Challenge in Orlando, Florida, March 5-6, and placed fourth.
- Freshman Misun Cho was one of six players named to Golf World's Mid-Season All-Freshman Team. Cho is currently No. 12 in the latest Golfweek rankings.
- The Pepperdine men's golf team is the highest rated team among WCC teams, checking in at No. 38 in the latest Golfweek rankings.
- Junior Eric Shriver shot a final-round even-par 72 to total a 54-hole score of 3-under par 213 to tie for eighth place at the General Jim Hackler Championship on March 12th.
- The No. 5 ranked Wave women next hit the links at the PING/ASU Invitational (3/30-4/1), while the Wave men next compete at the National Invitational Tournament (4/2-3).
- Portland senior Jake Easterly finished eight strokes off the pace to tie for sixth place as the Pilot men tied for fourth as a team at the Braveheart Classic on March 6th. The fourth place finish was the Pilots best final result of the spring season.
- On the women's side, sophomore Taryn Kuida carded a 232 to tie for 19th place and help the Pilots finish tied for eighth overall at the Bobcat Desert Classic on March 14th.
- Junior Kristin Howell fired a third round 77 to climb the leader board and finish tied for 33rd at 236 at the Bobcat Desert Classic. Senior Molly Edmunds tied for 46th at 240, while senior Ashley Williams finished with a 246.
- The Pilot women compete next at the Northridge Spring Classic, while the UP men head to the Cal Poly Tournament (3/29-30).
Saint Mary's Gaels
- The Saint Mary's men's golf team wrapped up the 61st Annual Western Intercollegiate with a 12th place finish in the 18-team field on March 20th. The Gaels posted rounds of 288-293-297 for a total of 878 (+38) at the par-70, 6,432 yard Pasatiempo Golf Course.
- Junior Josh Kelley was the top performer for the Gaels, as he posted a 54-hole total of 211 (+1) and finished in a tie for sixth place.
- Led by junior Mike McRae, who took home medalist honors, Saint Mary's men's golf team captured the title at the USF Triumph at Pauma Valley with scores of 283-290-280 for a total score of 853 (+1) at the Pauma Valley Country Club on March 13th.
- Saint Mary's returns to the links for its final regular season tournament at the Pacific Coast Intercollegiate on April 2-3 at the River Course at Alisal in Solvang, CA.
San Diego Toreros
- San Diego shot a final round team score of 289 to move up four places and finish in a tie for 5th place at the 61st Western Open Intercollegiate played at the Pasatiempo Golf Club on March 20th. The fifth place showing marked the Toreros' fifth top five finish this season.
- Sophomore Darrin Hall was the Toreros' top finisher at the Western Open Intercollegiate, firing a final round 72 to finish at 214, good for a tie for 13th place.
- Hall, who leads San Diego with a 71.93 stroke average, has notched four top five showings this season, including tying for first at the Hawai'i Fall Intercollegiate. Hall has fired four rounds in the 60's and has shot par or better on 14 occasions.
- San Diego's next tournament will be at the Pacific Coast Intercollegiate in Santa Barbara (4/2-3).
San Francisco Dons
- The USF women's golf team won the 2007 Duck Invitational on March 27th after shooting a final round 304 to finish with a three-round team total of 919.
- Junior Jessica Potter (222), who captured medalist honors at the 2006 Duck Invitational, finished second overall after sinking a birdie putt on the last hole to force a playoff with eventual medalist Amy Eneroth of Washington State. It was the second year in a row that Potter forced a playoff by getting a birdie on the last hole.
- USF's men finished 12th in the first annual USF Triumph at Pauma Valley that concluded on March 13th in Southern California.
- The USF men play next at the Cuesta Title Invitational (3/29-30), while the USF women take the links at the Peg Barnard Invitational (4/6-7) at Stanford Golf Course.
Santa Clara Broncos
- The Santa Clara men's team finished 11th at the USF Triumph on March 13th.
- Freshman Jimmy Cacho has been the Broncos most consistent performer of late, posting back-to-back top 30 finishes at the Callaway Golf Invitational and at the USF Triumph. Cacho ranks second on the team with a stroke average of 73.25.
- The SCU women's team finished with a season-high third place showing at the Lady Braveheart Challenge on February 13th. Corey Utsurogi led the Broncos with a two-round total of 159 to tie for 14th place.
- Senior Samantha Trask, an All-WCC honorable mention performer last year, has been Santa Clara's most consistent performer this season, posting a team-best 77.33 stroke average, and notching three top 20 showings.