{{ article.title }}

Disappointing Finish to Road Trip

Aug. 28, 2006

Box Score

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. - Playing its second contest in less than 40 hours, the #14 LMU men's soccer team dropped a 2-1 double overtime game to Central Connecticut State at Al-Marzook Field on the University of Hartford campus on Monday afternoon. David Niemeyer gave the Lions a 1-0 lead in the first half, but CCSU tied things up in the second half, and put in the game-winner in the first minute of the second overtime period.

Due to poor playing conditions, the game was moved from Central Connecticut Soccer Field to the turf surface at the University of Hartford. LMU (1-1) defeated then-#2 Connecticut on Saturday night, and the noon start time was just 39 hours from the completion of the emotional Saturday win.

Loyola Marymount scored the first goal of the contest, beating Central goalkeeper Paul Armstrong in the 14th minute. Niemeyer took a feed from junior Diego Barrera on a through ball and put a shot past Armstrong from just outside the six. The score remained 1-0 as the teams broke for halftime. The Lions outshot CCSU 9-3 over the first 45 minutes, but Armstrong made four saves to keep things within reach.

The Blue Devils (1-0) came out with an aggressive attack to open the second half, and Ben Howe capitalized on a free kick five minutes into the period. Sophomore Yan Klukowski played the ball to the far post, where Howe headed it past a sprawling Robert Flores.

The two teams each posted five shots over the second 45 minutes, and each goalkeeper stopped one shot. Klukowski also made two key defensive clears on crosses by Loyola Marymount.

Neither team netted a goal over the first 10-minute overtime session, but the Blue Devils needed very little time to put home the game-winner. Klukowski took a shot from midfield off the opening touch and drew a corner when Flores knocked it wide of goal.

Also taking the corner, Klukowski played it to the far post again, and junior Andrew Cooper headed to Howe for the score. Both Klukowski and Cooper earned assists on the play.

Overall, Loyola Marymount, which defeated UConn (then ranked #2 in the nation) 1-0 on Saturday, outshot Central 17-11 and held an 8-2 advantage on corner kicks. Armstrong earned the win in goal, while Flores, who made four saves, dropped to 1-1.

The Lions return to the friendly confines of Sullivan Field to host Marquette on Saturday afternoon at 2:00pm.