{{ article.title }}

WCC Men's Soccer Recaps

Aug. 29, 2008


August 29
2 Loyola Marymount tied New Mexico - 1-1 (2OT)
4 Portland tied Virginia Tech - 2-2 (2OT)
2 San Diego tied St. Louis - 1-1 (2OT)
Creighton def. Gonzaga - 4-1
1 UMBC def. Saint Mary's - 4-2
3 Northwestern def. San Francisco - 1-0

August 30
Loyola-Chicago def. Santa Clara - 2-1

August 31
4 Portland def. Fairleigh Dickinson - 4-0
1 Saint Mary's def. Navy - 4-2
2 Loyola Marymount def. St. Louis - 2-2 (2OT)
2 New Mexico def. San Diego - 2-1 (OT)
3 Northern Illinois def. San Francisco - 1-0

September 1
UIC def. Santa Clara - 4-3

1 Navy Soccer Classic (Annapolis, MD); 2 LMU Fall Classic (Los Angeles, CA); 3 Northwestern Tournament (Evanston, IL); 4 Nike Portland Invitational (Portland, OR)


UIC - 4
Santa Clara - 3

CHICAGO - The Santa Clara men's soccer team lost a hard-fought and intense 4-3 match to the 16th-ranked UIC Flames Monday afternoon in Chicago. Jeff Cosgriff scored his second goal of the season, while Ross Smith and Brian Martin each netted their first goals of the year.

The Broncos are now 0-2-0 on the season, while the Flames improved to 1-0-1.

UIC began the scoring just over two minutes into the match as Matt Spiess snapped a header past sophomore keeper Jeremy Del Re. The Broncos then evened the score in the 19th minute when Cosgriff intercepted a UIC clearance attempt in front of the goal for a chip shot. The game was tied 1-1.

However, three minutes later the Flames took a one-goal edge with another well-placed header. Baggio Husidic received the ball from Charlie Trout for the goal. UIC then increased their advantage to two in the 35th minute as Trout made the score 3-1.

The Broncos responded right before halftime to make the score 3-2. A free kick was awarded to Santa Clara, and after the attempt was turned away by UIC goalkeeper Jovan Bubonja, the ball bounced around and found the foot of Ross Smith for the goal.

The Flames once again increased their lead with 17 minutes left in regulation, as Kevin Stoll sent a deep bending ball over Del Re. UIC led 4-2.

Martin brought the Broncos back within one goal in the 77th minute off a pass from Brandon Zimmerman after making a fast break up the middle. SCU fought hard for a game-equalizer but were unsuccessful. In the 85th minute, Kellen Wantulok attempted to knot the score, but his shot was saved by Bubonja.

Del Re started the match in goal for the Broncos, playing all 90 minutes and recording two saves.

The Broncos remain on the road as they return to action on Sept. 5 at the Middleton Sports and Fitness invitational hosted by the University of Wisconsin. Santa Clara battles Wisconsin at 3 p.m. PT on Friday, and then takes on UW-Milwaukee on Sunday, Sept. 7 at 1 p.m. PT.


Portland - 4
Fairleigh Dickinson - 0

PORTLAND, Ore. --- Portland sophomore Frankie Lopez continued his offensive onslaught this weekend with two goals and an assist to fuel the Pilots in a 4-0 shutout of the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights on Sunday at the 2008 Nike Invitational at Merlo Field. The win allows Portland to claim the tournament title, while Lopez was named the offensive MVP.

Lopez scored four goals and handed out an assist during UP's two games at the tourney, which included a 2-2 tie with the 10th-ranked Virginia Tech Hokies on Friday.

Earlier on Sunday, the Hokies, who were playing a man-down, defeated the Washington Huskies 2-1 in double overtime. The Hokies and Pilots both finished the weekend with identical 1-0-1 records, but Portland claimed the tournament title on goal differential.

VT's Scott Dillie was named the tournament's defensive MVP.

"We were hoping to win the tournament and come away with two victories," Lopez said following the match. "Unfortunately we couldn't put Virginia Tech away on Friday, but a tie with the 10th-ranked team in the country is pretty good. I think today's 4-0 game shows that we're just going to get better and better this season."

Lopez, who once again started at midfield before moving up to forward, opened the scoring against the Knights (1-1-0) with a strike in the 36th minute. The play began when he gained possession at the top of the box. Lopez then fought and maneuvered himself through and around three defenders before cracking a shot inside the right post, giving Portland (1-0-1) the 1-nil advantage.

Three minutes later it was UP freshman Ryan Kawulok who found the back of the net for his first collegiate score. On a corner kick from Lopez, Kawulok somehow finished on a leaping, twisting header from eight yards out. It was Lopez's first assist of 2008 and Portland's first goal not scored by the native of McMinnville, Ore., this season.

The Pilots, who were clearly the more aggressive team on Sunday, entered the locker room with a 2-0 advantage on the scoreboard and a 7-2 edge in shots.

Portland only turned up the pressure in the second half, peppering the FDU goal with 15 shots. After several near misses from a plethora of players, Lopez made it a 3-0 game with a goal in the 76th minute. Reminiscent of his two strikes on Friday, the play began with a perfectly placed pass to Lopez from the midfield, this time courtesy sophomore Jarad vanSchaik. Lopez received the 20-yard pass from vanSchaik on the left flank, made a move to the middle of the field to shake a couple of defenders and finished low, inside the far post.

Senior Bryan Irwin concluded the scoring for Portland with his first goal of the season in the 80th minute. Irwin finished on a one-timer off of a perfect feed from Leland Wright.

UP finished with 22 shots, compared to eight for FDU. It's the most shots for the Pilots since a 31-shot outburst against Cal State Bakersfield to open last season.

Portland sophomore goalkeeper Austin Guerrero played a majority of the game in the net, finishing with three saves. Junior keeper Daniel Rhine preserved the shutout for Portland, making one save during the final 7:28 of the game.

"We were able to get everyone in the game, which will help us down the road," Director of Soccer and head coach Bill Irwin said. "I'm happy we won the tourney and got the job done."

Portland next hits the road for the first time this season with a tough trip to Omaha, Neb. The Pilots first face the sixth-ranked (NSCAA) Creighton Blue Jays on Friday at 5:00 p.m. (PT). The Pilots then conclude play at the Creighton Invitational with a match on Sunday against sixth-ranked (Soccer America) St. Louis on Sunday.

"I think we performed well at home," said Irwin, "but we have a tough couple of road games ahead. We have a long way to go and all I'm thinking about right now is Creighton."

"We wanted to win this tournament going into our game with Creighton," added Lopez.

Saint Mary's - 4
Navy - 2

Annapolis, MD - The Saint Mary's men's soccer team posted its first win of the 2008 season, but beating Navy 4-2 on Sunday in the Navy Soccer Classic. The Gaels got goals by Jordan Grider, Brian Siu, Yousef Samy, and Erik Rivas to secure the win. The Gaels are now 1-1-0 on the season and Navy dropped to 0-1-1.

Saint Mary's controlled the tempo of play for most of the game, as shown by the 22-6 advantage in shots. The Gaels had a number of scoring chances early, but did not get on the scoreboard until the 23rd minute when Jordan Grider headed home a free kick off the foot of Joel Fumia. The goal came off a restart, where Fumia swung the ball in from the left sideline into the middle of the goal-mouth. Grider, who scored his first career goal at SMC, out jumped the Navy defense to head the ball over the Navy goalkeeper Nolan Grebb.

Navy answered with a goal at the 34:42 mark, when Scott Robertson found Chris Marino for a one-on-one attempt against SMC keeper Jason Bader. Saint Mary's regained the lead late in the first half, when Brian Siu bent a corner kick from the right corner into the far side of the goal for his second goal as a Gael.

After leading 2-1 at halftime, Saint Mary's extended its lead to 3-1 when Samy scored his second penalty kick of the year at the 68:49 mark. The penalty kick was awarded with Justin Grider was tackled in the penalty box by Grebb after the ball came loose.

With Navy pressuring the Gaels in the final 20 minutes of action, the Midshipmen cut the SMC advantage to 3-2 in the 77th minute when Sam Lepley headed a cross over Badger. Navy continued to pressure the Gaels' defense over the final 13 minutes, but the SMC defense held strong until Rivas iced the game with his first goal of the season with 26 seconds remaining in the game.

Badger made one save in the game, as the Midshipmen put three of its six shots on goal. Of the 22 shots by the Gaels, eight were on goal, scoring four times while Grebb made four saves against SMC. Four SMC players recorded three shots in the game, which included Rivas, Kyle Ciliento, Fumia and Jordan Grider.

Saint Mary's will return to action on Friday, September 5 when the Gaels host Houston-Baptist at 4:30 p.m. in the second game of the Saint Mary's Invitational. The first game of the tournament between Sacramento State and UC Irvine will kick-off at 2 p.m. from Saint Mary's Stadium.

Loyola Marymount - 2 (2OT)
Saint Louis - 2

Los Angeles, CA - The concluding game of the 2008 Fall Classic followed the script from the weekend with more last-minute heroics and even more overtimes as LMU and #8 Saint Louis battled to a 2-2 tie Sunday afternoon at Sullivan Field. The Lions (0-0-2) and Billikens (0-0-2) tie for second in the tournament, which was won by New Mexico.

It was only fitting that the fourth and final game of the weekend be decided after overtime as all four contests needed extra time. LMU looked like it would end the cycle as the Lions twice took the lead, only to see the Billikens fight back and equalize on each occasion, the second coming with just 2:34 remaining on the clock.

LMU rolled out another young lineup, featuring five freshmen and three sophomores in the starting lineup. The young bucks proved themselves well as freshman Tyler Krumpe fed a through-ball to sophomore Sharif Khatib, who turned at the edge of the area and slotted his finish past SLU goalkeeper Pat Disbennett to give the Lions a 1-0 lead at 25:56. The goal was Khatib's first as a Lion as he made his first career start.

The Lions certainly were not playing like underdogs and refused to back down in a game that featured eight yellow cards and one red. In the LMU goal, redshirt freshman Jack McCormack was impressive in his debut, stretching to his right to turn away a shot by Dado Hamzagic just before the half.

Saint Louis was sure to make a game of it in the second 45 minutes and did just that, pulling level at 56:37 as Kyle Patterson latched on to a cross by James Jaramillo to loop his header over McCormack. From that point on, both keepers kept their teams in the game with fine saves until LMU freshman Artur Jozkowicz, who had been on for just five minutes, put LMU back in front. The Lions built a strong move down the left flank and the ball was crossed in. Disbennett came out to claim but could not handle the ball as he dove. Jozkowicz pounced on the rebound, rifling the ball into the net to give LMU what looked to be the game-winner with less than 10 minutes left.

With Saint Louis pushing forward, the opportunity was there for the Lions to counter-attack and they almost put the game out of reach. After SLU had sent numbers forward, freshman Kyle Johanson beat the offside trap at midfield and just had Disbennett to beat. Johanson tried to chip the goalie from 40 yards out but his attempt sailed just wide.

Saint Louis was not done, however, and the Billikens again equalized, this time through a rocket from Brandon Barklage. Picking the ball up on the left side, Barklage cut into the middle and unleashed a liner from 35-yards that gave McCormack no chance as it settled into the top corner.

A subdued first overtime gave way to a tense final 10 minutes. LMU gained a man advantage just 69 seconds into the second overtime after Saint Louis' Alex Johnston picked up his second yellow card. It was the Billikens who would press forward, however, and LMU was lucky to escape as Kyle Patterson's shot from 22 yards came back off the crossbar and Jimmy Holmes' follow-up was deflected off the post. At the other end, freshman Fernando Barba nearly gave LMU the win but his long-range attempt was wide.

Saint Louis held a 19-16 shot advantage but LMU was more accurate, forcing Disbennett into two saves while McCormack made one for the Lions.

LMU remains at home next week to face Cal Poly on Friday and UC Santa Barbara on Sunday.

New Mexico - 2 (OT)
San Diego - 1

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Despite an early goal from junior forward JT Howlan in the fourth minute, the University of San Diego men's soccer team posted a 2-1 loss to the No. 10 ranked University of New Mexico Lobos on Sunday afternoon in Los Angeles on day two of the LMU Fall Classic at Sullivan Field.

Shortly after the kickoff, the Toreros found themselves deep in Lobos territory. Freshman forward Andrew Feld sent a ball into the penalty box where Howlan tapped it in lifting the Toreros to a 1-0 lead.

The Toreros held off New Mexico through most of the match until the 86th minute when Lobo Chris Wright punched a header in off of a cross from Ryan Farquharson to tie the match at 1-1.

Less than two minutes into the Overtime period, San Diego keeper Kelin Briones had a run-on free ball chipped over his head by New Mexico's Stephen Brown.

The Toreros recorded 14 fouls to New Mexico's 16. San Diego took seven shots to the Lobos 11. With the loss, San Diego falls to 0-1-1 overall.

The Toreros return home for the San Diego Classic co-hosted with San Diego State. San Diego's home opener will be Friday, September 5 at 7:00 p.m. at Torero Stadium.

Northern Illinois - 1
San Francisco - 0

Evanston, IL - USF men's soccer dropped a hard fought defensive struggle 1-0 against Northern Illinois Sunday in the second day of the 2008 Lakeside Classic, hosted by Northwestern at Lakeside Field. The Dons (0-2-0) could not find an answer for a late goal scored by the Huskies (2-0-0) in the 81st minute.

San Francisco recorded eight shots for the contest. Sophomore forwards Bryan Burke, and Jonathan McMullen added a pair of shots, one each on goal for USF. Senior Kyle Schlumpf recorded a pair of attempts off the bench, while junior midfielders Jonathan Levi and Jaime Rodriguez added one apiece.

Brad Horton broke the deadlock at 80:36, scoring on a rebound off his own crossing attempt from eight yards. NIU managed just one shot on goal for the match, but it was enough to send them to their second win in the tournament.

Senior USF goalkeeper Eric Conner (0-1-0) allowed one goal off eight shots. Joe Zimka (2-0-0) collected the shutout win for the Huskies and made two saves on the afternoon.

In a game featuring nearly twice as many combined fouls (29) as total shots (16), no fewer than six yellow cards were issued.

Henderson and sophomore defender Justin Warren were named to All-Lakeside Classic Tournament Team.

USF returns to action Wednesday, September 10 when it travels to the South Bay to take on ancient Bay Area rival San Jose State. Match time against the Spartans is set for 7:00 PM at Spartan Stadium.


Loyola-Chicago - 2
Santa Clara - 1

CHICAGO - The Santa Clara men's soccer team lost a hard-fought season-opener to Loyola University-Chicago on Saturday at Loyola Soccer Park. The final score of the match was 2-1, with junior Jeff Cosgriff netting the Broncos' lone goal.

Loyola created an early 1-0 lead when Michael Ferguson then scored for the Ramblers just two minutes later. His shot, at 4:20, was the completion of a corner kick by Keum Sung Kim.

The defense of both squads remained strong for much of the first half with Santa Clara making several attempts at tying the score. However, with 10 minutes remaining in the half, Loyola increased its lead to 2-0 as Alex Jones headed in the ball for his first goal of the season.

Kellen Wantulok tried to get the Broncos on the scoreboard before halftime but a Rambler defender blocked his attempt in the 42nd minute.

The Broncos put up a tough fight in the second half, with Cosgriff taking two shots on goal before finally scoring his first goal of the season. He cut the lead in half in the 78th minute with a header off a cross from freshman Brian Brungger.

SCU tried to send the game into overtime as Ogunbiyi took a shot in the 88th minute, but it floated wide. Santa Clara out-shot Loyola 16-14.

In goal, sophomore Kevin Klasila started the match for Santa Clara but sophomore Jeremy Del Re, who made his first-ever appearance as a Bronco, entered the game at 18:56. Del Re played the remainder of the game between the posts, making three saves and allowed one goal.

SCU returns to action on Monday, Sept. 1 against No. 16 UIC at Flames Field in Chicago. First kick is scheduled for 5 p.m. PT.


Loyola Marymount - 1 (2OT)
New Mexico - 1

Los Angeles, CA - Numbers don't scare the Lions. With a team that started four freshmen in the season opener, LMU's youth stood the test of time and almost knocked off the #10 team in the country, the New Mexico Lobos Friday at Sullivan Field. The hopeful upset fell just short as the teams settled for a 1-1 tie to open the season and close out the first day of the fifth annual LMU Fall Classic.

The Lions started slowly, with New Mexico out-shooting the Lions 3-1 early in the first half. The Lobos proved their ranking with the first goal of the game on a fortuitous free kick from Euan Holden. After an LMU foul 40 yards out, Holden placed the free kick where nobody could get it, looping it over LMU junior keeper Patrick Sampson and into the corner.

However, UNM's goal seem to push LMU's offense into full gear as the Lions held a 7-4 shot advantage to finish the half, including three close calls from sophomore forward Rafael Baca.

The halftime break didn't stop the close shots. Both the Lions and the Lobos took four shots on goal, but it was the Lions who were able to capitalize on one of theirs. Right on the hour mark, freshman midfielder Logan McDaniel turned his defender inside-out and launched a cross from the left flank. This time, it was LMU who lucked out as the ball eluded UNM goalie Eric Staver and found the back of the net.

"Stephen Carlson made a run inside and opened me up," McDaniel explained. "It was actually a cross and it ended up going in the goal. I was feeling pretty unlucky throughout the whole game and something finally fell my way."

The teams remained knotted as they headed into overtime, the second of the day after San Diego and Saint Louis had battled to a 1-1 draw earlier on Friday. Just a little over a minute into the extra period, LMU freshman midfielder Fernando Barba thought he had given the Lions the win but his strike from 20 yards bristled just wide of the post. Seconds later, Ryan Farquharson's point-blank header bounced inches wide for New Mexico.

The goalies kept it close in this thriller with UNM's Staver and LMU's Sampson recording six and four saves, respectively. The Lions out-shot the Lobos 15-12 overall.

"We finished last year with one tie and here we've tied our first game. We're already starting off better than where we were last year, but we're so young and have so much to improve on," LMU Head Coach Paul Krumpe said. "It's going to be an exciting year."

Next for the Lobos (0-0-1) is an 11:30 a.m. matchup Sunday against WCC opponent San Diego to open up the last day of the LMU Fall Classic. Host LMU follows and closes out the tourney against another ranked opponent, #8 Saint Louis.

Portland - 2 (2OT)
Virginia Tech - 2

PORTLAND, Ore. --- Portland sophomore Frankie Lopez scored twice as the Pilots and the 10th ranked Virginia Tech Hokies played to a 2-2 tie on the opening night of the 2008 Nike Invitational at Merlo Field. Lopez's two goals came within four minutes of each other during the second half.

With UP (0-0-1) trailing 1-0 in the 67th minute, sophomore Vlastimir Davidovic found Lopez with a slicing pass from just inside the midfield line. On the left flank, Lopez took a few touches towards the middle of the field before ripping a shot inside the far post from just inside the 18-yard box.

Moments later, Lopez scored in familiar fashion on the other side of the field. This time it was junior Collen Warner who fed Lopez with a long pass. Lopez beat a defender to the ball, made a move back to the middle of the field to shake loose another defender and again finished inside the far post to give the Pilots a 2-1 lead.

"I felt like I had to do something," said Lopez, who moved to forward during the second half after starting the game at midfield. "Coach put me up top for a reason and I knew that the team was depending on me."

But the lead wouldn't stand as the Hokies (0-0-1) equalized in the 71st minute. Luiz Yamashita gained possession at the top of the box and fed Emmanueal Akogyeram with a short pass to the left. Akogyeram, who was a few yards inside the penalty box, one-touched the ball back towards the middle, where Philip Aseweh finished inside the right post, tying the game at 2-2.

During the first overtime, Portland keeper Austin Guerrero made the save of the game to keep the score at 2-2. In the 97th minute, Akogyeram found himself unmarked with possession in the middle of the box. He went low with a shot towards the left post from about 10 yards out. Guerrero dove and got a hand on the ball to redirect the shot off of the left post. He then corralled the loose ball.

Neither team had a quality look in the second overtime, with VT outshooting UP 2-1.

For the game, Portland finished with an 18-13 advantage in shots. The Pilots, who dominated the time of possession during the first half, also held an 8-3 advantage in corner kicks.

"I think we played very well," UP Director of Soccer and head coach Bill Irwin said following the match. "I'm very happy with our performance. I'm a little disappointed with the two goals we gave up, but overall it was a good performance for the guys in the first game of the season."

Even with Portland's aggression in the first half, it was Virginia Tech who found the back of the net first. In the 36th minute, Yamashita fed Akogyeram with a through ball up the middle of the field. Akogyeram took a touch before finishing inside the right post.

The Hokies took the 1-0 lead into the locker room at half.

In the first game of the Nike Invitational on Friday afternoon, the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights defeated the Washington Huskies 2-1. The Knights played a majority of the game a man-down after Jermaine Hardy was shown a red card with 28 seconds remaining in the first half. Tied at 1-1 in the second half, FDU's Fabrizio Trezza scored the game-winner in the 88th minute.

The Nike Invitational concludes at Merlo Field with two games on Sunday. First, UW and Virginia Tech square off at 12:00 p.m. The Pilots and Knights then meet at 2:30 p.m.

San Diego - 1 (2OT)
Saint Louis - 1

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Freshman Andrew Feld scored fast and quick in the first half to help the University of San Diego Toreros in a 1-1 tie against number 8 ranked St. Louis Billikens in the LMU Men's Soccer Fall Classic in Los Angeles on Friday at Sullivan Field.

San Diego struck first in the match as Andrew Feld recorded his first collegiate goal in the 32nd minute when he took advantage of an inaccurate SLU throw-in. Feld jumped at the chance on the failed clearance and got the ball past SLU starting keeper Pat Disbennet from the front of the net.

Hellesen tallied his first-career goal in the 85th minute off an assist from James Jaramillo. With the Toreros ahead 1-0 and time winding down out, Jaramillo fired off a shot at keeper Kellin Briones that was kicked away by a San Diego defender. Hellesen gained control of the loose ball and sent a shot into the near-side of the net for the equalizer.

Neither team managed a shot on goal in the two overtime sessions. San Diego recorded more shots than the Billikens 10-6 and SLU had a 6-5 advantage in corner kicks.

The Toreros returns to action Sunday when it faces No. 10 New Mexico at 11:30 a.m.

Creighton - 4
Gonzaga - 1

OMAHA, Neb. - Creighton University, ranked as high as sixth and no lower than ninth in any of the four pre-season men's soccer polls, defeated Gonzaga University 4-1 at Morrison Stadium Friday in the season opener for both teams.

The match-winning goal came at 58:49 when Tucker Sindlinger headed in a rebound off Dacy's Bryan's shot created off a corner kick. The Bluejays scored two late goals to turn a close match into a runaway.

Unlike Gonzaga's only other trip to Creighton when the Bulldogs topped the then top-ranked Bluejays 1-0 Sept. 26, 1999, on the final day of the Diadora Classic, this night belonged to the home team.

Creighton wasted little time getting on the scoreboard as senior midfielder Andrei Gotsmanov, one of two Creighton Hermann Trophy Watch candidates, scored at 12:38 on the second shot of the match for the Bluejays. He took a cross from Seth Sinovic and converted an in-air one timer past Gonzaga redshirt freshman keeper Andrew Hickman, making his first career start.

The Bulldogs tied the match early in the second half. Junior midfielder Tye Perdido, the leading returning scorer for the Bulldogs, headed in a Bryan Mullaney cross at 53:08. That goal snapped a Bulldog scoreless string of 601:21 dating back to last season, Gonzaga going the final 548:13 of the 2007 season without a goal after a 1-0 win over the University of San Francisco Nov. 2, 2007.

Jeff Thayer stole the all from the defense and scored from close range at 80:43 to all but end the Bulldogs upset hopes as he scored the final two goals, the last at 85:41 as he flipped in the ball with his heel off a cross

Gonzaga had two first-half shots in the first 10 minutes, but neither shot was on goal, and the home team ended the half with a 3-2 advantage in shots. Creighton finished with a 13-6 overall shots advantage and a 10-4 shots-on-goal edge after out-shooting the Bulldogs 10-4 in the second half. Hickman finished with four saves in the Bulldogs nets, while Creighton keeper Brian Holt had three saves. Gonzaga was also credited with two team saves as the defense knocked away a pair of potential goals.

The next action for the Bulldogs will be one week from Sunday when they visit Oregon State University.

UMBC - 4
Saint Mary's - 2

Annapolis, MD - The Saint Mary's men's soccer team opened the 2008 season with a 4-2 loss to the University of Maryland-Baltimore County in the Navy Invitational on a rainy Friday afternoon from the Naval Academy. Saint Mary's got goals from Yousef Samy and Joe Claycomb, but it wasn't enough as UMBC's Andrew Gillis came off the bench to tally four points on a goal and two assists.

The Gaels took the pitch and put some early pressure on the UMBC Retrievers defense, as freshman Justin Grider and freshman Joel Fumia had good scoring opportunities within the first 20 minutes of the game. Unlike the Gaels, UMBC did not miss on their first two shot, as John Paul Waraksa fired a wide-open left-footed shot from the top of the into the right corner of the goal. Andrew Gillis set up the Waraksa goal in the 21st minute on a give-in-go from 18 yards out.

Gillis would set up the second UMBC goal, on a very similar play as the first goal. This time it was Levi Houapeu on the receiving end of the pass. Houapeu shot came from about 20 yards out and beat SMC goalkeeper Jason Badger to the upper left corner at the 34:12 mark. The Retrievers held the 2-0 lead into halftime.

In the second half, the Gaels pressured the UMBC goalkeeper, taking four shots in the first 15 minutes of the half, but came up empty. UMBC's Gillis struck again at the 67:54 mark, but this time he was on the scoring end of the Retrievers' goal. He was in a one vs. one with a Saint Mary's defender, made a few moves to create an open look on goal, then fired a shot from 10 yards out to the far post.

Following the third UMBC goal, Saint Mary's was finally able to get on the scoreboard in the 71st minute of action. The first SMC goal came on a penalty kick of the foot of Yousef Samy. The free kick was set up when freshman Kyle Ciliento was tackled from behind in the box.

The Gaels answered again when Joe Claycomb scored his first goal at Saint Mary's off a cross from Ciliento. Ciliento dribbled to the end line, made a perfect pass to the center of the goal, where Claycomb actually used his chest to push the ball across the goal line at the 78:22 mark. Just a minute and a half later, it looked like the Gaels would completely erase the three-goal deficit, but the header by Jordan Grider was cleared off the line by a UMBC defensive player.

UMBC's Andrew Bulls scored an insurance goal at the 89:13 mark to put the game out of reach.

Saint Mary's outshot the Retrievers 13-6 in the game, but could only manage six shots on goal. UMBC made the most out of its six shots, converting four goals, while putting five shots on net. SMC goalkeeper Jason Badger took the loss in his first game at SMC as he recorded just one save in the game. UMBC goalkeeper Steve King made three saves to earn the win.

Saint Mary's will return to action on Sunday, August 31 when the Gaels play Navy in the final game of the 2008 Navy Invitational. Kick-off is slated for 9:00 AM Pacific Time from the Glenn Warner Soccer Facility on the Naval Academy Campus.

Northwestern - 1
San Francisco - 0

Evanston, IL - USF men's soccer opened the 2008 regular season with a 1-0 setback to No. 20 Northwestern in the opening day of the Lakeside Classic Friday night at Lakeside Field. The Dons (0-1-0) managed just one shot in the opening half but the contest remained scoreless until the Wildcats (1-0-0) found the net in the 75th minute.

Freshman defender Adam Nowak led the way for San Francisco with a pair of shots and was one of four USF newcomers to start, three of them freshmen. Junior midfielder Jonathan Levi added a shot in his Green and Gold debut, while junior midfielder Jesse Henderson recorded one shot on goal.

"I was very pleased with the way our newcomers responded to the challenge in their first collegiate matches," USF head coach Erik Visser said. "We are never satisfied with a loss, but I am encouraged by many things we displayed throughout the match. I thought our defense was very good for 89 minutes and we were never out of it against a very tough opponent."

Northwestern out-shot the Dons 6-1 in the opening period, but both teams managed three apiece after the intermission. Piero Bellizzi broke the deadlock at 74:51 lobbing a shot over USF goalkeeper Jeremy Coupe's head from 15 yards. Bellizzi finished with a match-high three shots, two on frame.

Coupe (0-1-0) collected a pair of saves for the Dons in the defensive struggle - the two teams managed a combined 13 shots. Misha Rosenthal (1-0-0) made one save in recording the shutout for the Wildcats.

San Francisco closes out tournament play Sunday when it squares off against Northern Illinois. Match time against the Huskies is set for 10:00 AM (PT) at Lakeside Field.