{{ article.title }}

WCC Men's Soccer Recaps

Aug. 31, 2007

Saint Mary's - 2
Davidson - 0

Davidson, NC - A pair of second-half goals lifted the visiting Saint Mary's men's soccer team to a 2-0 blanking of host Davidson in the opening round of the adidas Classic at Alumni Stadium Friday evening in front of 831 fans. The Gaels begin the campaign 1-0, while the Wildcats open the 2007 slate 0-1.Justin Kim assisted both SMC goals and Brian VanDoornick scored the game-winning goal and Erik Rivas added another.

After a scoreless first half in which the Gaels were outshot 6-3, Saint Mary's responded with a dominating second half, scoring twice in the final 45 minutes. Saint Mary's outshot the Wildcats 10-5 in the second half and edged out Davidson 13-11 for the game.

SMC's first goal came when Rivas headed a ball to Justin Kim at the top of the Davidson penalty box. Kim settled the ball and played a pass to Vandoornick who making a run through the Wildcat defense. Once VanDoornick cleared the defense, he had a 1-on-1 situation with Davidson goalkeeper Ben Ashton. Vandoornick chipped a shot over Ashton for the first goal of the game and the game-winning goal at the 68:03 mark.

Saint Mary's added another goal in the 82nd minute, this time it was the freshman forward Rivas who found the back of the net. Kim came down the right sideline and made a perfect pass across the front of the goal to Rivas. Rivas' spinning blast from just inside the box was inside the far post and into the upper right corner of the net.

Brian Mason added to his school record for shutouts. Mason, who record two saves against 11 total shots now has 12.5 shutouts in his career. Davidson's best chance to score came in the 31st minute on a free kick. Following a Saint Mary's foul just outside the box, Charlie Reiter touched the attempt to Robby Hoak, who had his right-footed blast punched over the cross bar by a diving Brian Mason.

With 30:40 left in the contest, the Wildcats had another scoring opportunity but were unable to capitalize. Davidson's Alex Caskey started the counter with a tackle that was tracked down just shy of midfield by Reiter, who played a ball down the right flank to Machel Turner, but his one-on-one attempt with the Gaels keeper missed wide.

Saint Mary's will return to action on Sunday when the Gaels take on UNC-Charlotte in the final game of the adidas Classic. The game between the Saint Mary's and the 49ers will kick-off at 2 p.m. Eastern Time at Alumni Stadium.

Santa Clara - 3
Alabama A&M - 2

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The No. 5 Santa Clara University men's soccer team pulled out a late 3-2 win in the season-opener against Alabama A&M at Buck Shaw Stadium in front of a crowd of 1,457. After getting out to a 2-0 lead, the Broncos saw the Bulldogs tie the match in the second half. However, sophomore Stephen McCarthy sent the crowd home happy with an 83rd minute strike after a corner kick by redshirt freshman Kellen Wantulok. Senior Jamil Roberts and sophomore Jeff Cosgriff also found the net for SCU, while Roberts added two assists.

The winning goal came after some hard work on the right wing by junior Brian Martin. Martin beat his man to the corner and then had his cross deflected to earn a corner kick. Wantulok sent the ensuing kick to the back post, where Roberts headed the ball back to the penalty spot. McCarthy, who was the 2006 WCC Co-Freshman of the Year, slid and drove a shot past Alabama A&M goalkeeper Paul Musoke for the game-winner. The goal was the first of McCarthy's career.

In the early going, it appeared that the Broncos would not need McCarthy's heroics. Just under 10 minutes into the game, Roberts scored the first goal of the season. After a cross into the box was knocked down, Martin slid and deflected a ball into the path of Roberts, who got a toe on it and poked it to the far post past a diving Musoke.

Ten minutes later, another set piece got the Broncos a two-goal cushion. Senior Matt Marquess sent a long free kick into the box and Roberts got on the end of it. His header found Cosgriff all alone in front of the goal. The San Bruno native then buried a shot into the top of the net for a 2-0 lead.

The Broncos continued to apply the pressure throughout the rest of the half, but they were unable to extend the lead. Senior Peter Lowry nearly chipped the goalkeeper on a free kick from 40 yards out, while sophomore Sean Danzeiser nearly scored in the latter stages of the half. At halftime, SCU was out-shooting the Bulldogs 8-1 and had a clear advantage in possession.

However, the second half proved to be another story as the Bulldogs used their quickness and some long balls to get back into the game. A ball over the top of the defense got Henry Kabeta free behind the defense 18 minutes into the second half. SCU goalkeeper Joseph Buttitta came off his line for the ball, but he took down Kabeta and a penalty kick was awarded. Mutumba Ssemagulu drove a low shot just past Buttitta, who nearly got his hand on the ball.

At 2-1, A&M kept pressing and they were rewarded for their efforts in the 75th minute. A corner kick by Lwazi Maziya was knocked down in the box and David Kimbugwe picked up the loose ball. He then slotted it into the middle for Rogers Atugonza and he finished past Buttitta to tie the score.

In the end, the highly-ranked Broncos pulled together and were able to grab the victory on McCarthy's late strike.

The team gets right back to work on Sunday, Sept. 2, as the Broncos face the Vermont Catamounts at Buck Shaw Stadium at 2 p.m. PT. Vermont is coming off a 1-0 season-opening win over San Francisco. For tickets to the game, call 408-554-4660. The match will also feature GameTracker and live audio coverage at SantaClaraBroncos.com.

UC Irvine - 1
Gonzaga - 0

IRVINE, Calif. - UC Irvine scored the lone goal of the match at 85:49 as the Anteaters defeated Gonzaga University 1-0 Friday in the men's soccer opener for both teams.

The Anteaters broke the scoreless tie in the 86th minute as freshman Adrian Burgess crossed the ball into the box where freshman Spencer Thompson tapped the ball over to freshman Amani Walker who put the ball past Bulldog keeper Vito Higgins at the 85:49 mark. Walker had checked back into the match less than a minute before scoring the game-winning goal.

Freshman keeper Pat Barton had four saves for the Anteaters - all in the first half - as he earned the shutout in his first career match. Higgins had three saves for Gonzaga.

Gonzaga was outshot 15-6 in the match and the Bulldogs had just one second-half shot.

The loss was the fourth straight by the Bulldogs in the series the Anteaters now lead 6-2-0, and was the third straight 1-0 win for UCI over Gonzaga. The Bulldogs have lost all six matches in the series at UC Irvine. Friday's match was the first meeting between the teams since 2001.

The early season doesn't get much easier for the Bulldogs, who face defending College Cup champion UC Santa Barbara on the road Sunday at 2 p.m. The Gauchos opened the season Friday with a 2-2 tie at Stanford University.

Cal State Bakersfield - 2
Portland - 1 (OT)

PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Pilots dropped their season-opening match 2-1 in overtime to Cal State Bakersfield at the Nike Invitational on Friday at Merlo Field. The Roadrunners scored the game-winner eight minutes into the first overtime period.

Portland (0-1-0) outshot Bakersfield (1-0-0) 31-13 on the night. The 31 shots are the third highest single-game total in UP men's soccer history. 19 of UP's shots were on goal. Bakersfield's goalkeeper Steve Trojanowski made 18 saves.

With the score tied 1-1 in the extra period, Bakersfield's Sammy Hernandez fed Mike Esparza with a perfect pass up the middle of the pitch. Esparza, who got past the Portland defenders, took one touch before finding the left corner of the net from 16 yards out. It was the only shot in overtime for the Roadrunners.

Portland dominated possession in the first half and scored the game's first goal in the ninth minute Junior Bryan Irwin scored from 19 yards out. From the top, left corner of the box, Irwin sent a low bouncer the curved just inside the far post. Senior Jeff Griffin assisted on the play.

Junior Brayton Knapp almost made it 2-0 with a free kick in the 20th minute. From just outside the box, Knapp's attempt hit the right post.

Bakersfield increased the pressure in the second half, but it was Portland that claimed a 15-7 shot advantage after the break. Junior Alex Elliott had UP's first good look in the 56th minute. Elliott found himself with possession alone in the box. He ripped a shot that has deflected by Trojanowski. The ball went straight into the air and almost found the net when Trojanowski fumbled it. He was finally able to corral it.

Moments later, Bakersfield equalized. Robbie Gouk was able to shake off a couple of defenders. He then ripped a left-footed shot from just outside the top, right corner of the 18-yard box. He found the top left corner of the net with a perfectly placed shot that was just out of the reach of UP freshman keeper Austin Guerrero.

With 5:30 left on the clock, the Pilots nearly won it. After Trojanowski had come off the goal line, Portland freshman Jarad vanSchaik fired one towards an empty net. Bakersfield defender Chris Rangel happened to be in the right place to deflect the shot away with his foot, barely one yard in front of the goal mouth.

In the extra stanza, Elliott had Portland's best chance to end it. After breaking free of a defender, he sent one below a diving Trojanowski that bounced off the left post.

Elliott finished with six shots, three on goal. Sophomore Collen Warner totaled a game-high seven shots, while junior Leland Wright and Irwin both had five.

Guerrero finished with six stops in his collegiate debut.

The 2007 Nike Invitational concludes with two matches on Sunday at Merlo Field at the Clive Charles Soccer Complex. Washington plays Bakersfield at 12:00 p.m. before Portland and New Hampshire square off at 2:30 p.m. Washington and New Hampshire opened play at the tourney with a scoreless tie on Friday afternoon.

California - 2
San Diego - 0

SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The University of San Diego men's soccer team (0-1-0) posted a 2-0 loss in their season opener against the 11th ranked Golden Bears of UC Berkeley (1-0-0) Friday afternoon from Torero Stadium. Berkeley scored a goal in the first half and again in the second half.

San Diego out-shot the Golden Bears through out the whole match by a margin of 10-14 but was unable to find the net.

UC Berkeley's first goal came in the 41st minute as Andrew Wiedeman centered a pass from the left side to Davis Paul who scored from the penalty box.

Their second goal came in the 64th minute. Servando Carrasco was 30 yards out on the left side of the penalty box and chipped a shot into the top right corner of the goal.

San Diego returns to the pitch on September 7 at 7:00 p.m. when they will face Fairleigh Dickinson at Torero Stadium.

Vermont - 1
San Francisco - 0

San Francisco, CA - Catamount forward T.J. Gore took a long pass from Justin Geibel and chipped it over Dons' goalkeeper Eric Conner for the game's only goal to give Vermont a 1-0 men's soccer victory over USF Friday night at Negoesco Stadium.

The play actually started with USF on the attack. Dons' defender Kyle Schlumpf was knocked down hard on the offensive end. While USF was thinking a stoppage might occur, Geibel was able to knock the ball down the field where Gore got the ball behind the defense. He lifted the ball over Conner and into an open net at the 47:28 mark.

USF has some excellent chances to score in the second half outshooting their guests six to three, but Vermont 'keeper Roger Scully made two big saves to protect the shutout win.

The Dons will host Alabama A&M Sunday at 2:00 p.m. while Vermont will play at Santa Clara.

"Generally, I am a little disappointed in the result," said Dons head coach Erik Visser. "We had a great home crowd and maybe that made some of our younger players a little jittery. After they scored, we relaxed and just played soccer. We were able to dominate the second half, but couldn't get one in the back of the net."