{{ article.title }}

Lowry Scores With 40 Seconds Left To Earn Broncos a Tie With Stanford

Sept. 14, 2007

Final Stats

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - In a thrilling match at Buck Shaw Stadium, the No. 6 Santa Clara Broncos came back to earn a 1-1 tie against Stanford with both goals coming in the final five minutes of regulation. The Broncos controlled play throughout most of the night, but found themselves trailing 1-0 late in the game after a goal by Scott Bolkan in the 86th minute. Senior captain Peter Lowry scored the tying goal with a free kick with 40 seconds remaining for SCU. The Broncos out-shot the Cardinal 18-10 and hit the post on two separate occasions, but could not come up with the win.

Early in the first half, Santa Clara had a number of opportunities to take the lead. Junior Brian Martin had the first big chance of the game in the seventh minute from a Peter Lowry corner kick. Lowry served a ball to the far post for Martin, who unloaded a volley that beat Stanford goalkeeper Andrew Kartunen and hit the right post.

One minute later, senior Matt Hatzke tested Kartunen with a free kick from 25 yards out. He curled a ball over the Stanford wall that was headed for the corner, but Kartunen dove to make the save and the Cardinal defense was able to clear the rebound away.

Martin had another golden opportunity midway through the first half after getting on the end of a long ball out of the back. He sprinted past the Stanford defense and curled a shot past Kartunen, but he was again denied by the post.

Both teams clamped down defensively early in the second half, but each team had chances to break through as the game wore on. With 20 minutes left, Stanford's Tom Montgomery nearly beat SCU goalkeeper Joseph Buttitta with a low shot, but the Bronco netminder came up with a big save. Sophomores Stephen McCarthy and Jeff Cosgriff each had chances to put the Broncos ahead with shots from the left side of the box, but Kartunen proved up to the challenge.

With time winding down, the Cardinal broke the stalemate with a well-executed set piece. Bobby Warshaw sent a free kick to the back post, where Scott Bolkan jumped and headed a shot over Buttitta for a 1-0 lead. The goal was Bolkan's third of the year.

Looking for the equalizer in the final minute, the Broncos earned a free kick at the left edge of the penalty box. Lowry calmly stepped up and curled a shot to the far post that got past Kartunen and found the lower corner as the Buck Shaw crowd exploded. Lowry has now scored two goals this season. He also scored a goal against Stanford in 2006.

In overtime, the Broncos had two prime chances to break the tie. With just under a minute left in the first overtime session, Lowry corralled a loose ball at the top of the box and ripped a left-footed shot that just missed the near post. In the second overtime, Hatzke had a free kick that appeared to have Kartunen beaten, but the ball deflected off a Santa Clara player in the box and the Stanford defense cleared the ball out of danger.

The Broncos travel to Berkeley on Sunday, Sept. 16 to play another Bay Area rival, the California Golden Bears. The match kicks off at 2 p.m. PT at Edwards Stadium.