{{ article.title }}

No. 7 Santa Clara Comes Back To Beat No. 5 UCLA 2-1 In a Thriller at Buck Shaw

Sept. 22, 2007

Final Stats

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The No. 7 Santa Clara men's soccer team won a thriller at Buck Shaw Stadium, defeating No. 5 UCLA 2-1 in overtime on a Jeff Cosgriff strike less than a minute into the extra session. Despite falling behind in the first half, SCU tied the game on a goal from Peter Lowry in the 86th minute to force overtime. Santa Clara is now 5-1-2 on the season with the victory.

Cosgriff's game-winner game just 39 seconds into overtime after a scramble in front of the Bruins' goal. A throw in from the left wing found junior Jide Ogunbiyi in the box and the ball deflected to Cosgriff in front of goal. Cosgriff then calmly chipped a shot over UCLA goalkeeper Brian Perk to set off a raucous celebration.

Early on in the game, Santa Clara had the better of the play as well as a number of opportunities to take the lead. Ogunbiyi nearly put SCU up 1-0 17 minutes into the match after some great combination play at the top of the box by the Broncos. Junior Brian Martin received a pass from redshirt freshman Kellen Wantulok and found Matt Marquess at the top of the box. Marquess played a ball for Lowry that got deflected and rolled towards the net. Ogunbiyi beat the goalkeeper to the ball but his sliding shot skidded wide on the wet grass.

In the 31st minute, Marquess had a go from long range that forced a good save from UCLA goalkeeper Brian Perk. Ogunbiyi took a pass at the edge of the penalty box and laid it off for Marquess, who sent a low one-timer on net, but Perk got down to make the save.

Mike Zaher got the Bruins on the board in the late stages of the first half with an astounding long-range shot into the lower corner. The Bruin defender picked up the ball 35 yards from goal and unloaded a left-footer that skimmed into the far post past a diving Kevin Klasila. The goal came in the 38th minute.

Klasila came up big in the 54th minute with a save at the near post. UCLA's Richard Flores got free behind the defense and broke down the left wing and cut to the middle. He fired a low shot, but Klasila dove to his left to make the save and then gather in the rebound.

Lowry notched his fifth of the year to tie the game.

The game changed in the 68th minute when Flores was shown a red card by referee Yader Reyes. Flores stamped down on Stephen McCarthy's leg after a tackle by McCarthy and he was immediately sent off.

The Broncos began to put numbers forward and Marquess had the equalizer in his sights with 19 minutes left, but his volley at the far post missed the net by inches. Lowry set up Marquess with a perfect cross from the left wing to the back post. Marquess beat his defender and side-footed a shot that hit the outside of the goal.

Lowry scored a dramatic tying goal for the second straight home match on a beautiful play that started on the left wing. Matt Hatzke sent a cross to the far post right onto the foot of Brian Curry. Curry volleyed a ball back across the goal mouth for Lowry, who made no mistake as he buried a shot past Perk into the near post. The goal was Lowry's five of the year and third in the past two games. He also scored in the final minutes last week against Stanford to send the game to overtime. Lowry now has 19 career goals at SCU, tying him for ninth all-time in program history for goals scored.

Santa Clara now has two weeks off before the team opens West Coast Conference play on the road. SCU travels to Southern California to play Loyola Marymount on Oct. 5 and San Diego on Oct. 7. The LMU match begins at 4 p.m. PT and the USD game kicks off at 2 p.m. PT. Follow all the action on SantaClaraBroncos.com.