{{ article.title }}

WCC Men's Soccer Recaps

Sept. 24, 2006

Portland - 1
Loyola Marymount - 0

Los Angeles, Calif. - The University of Portland men's soccer team won a thriller Sunday afternoon, defeating Loyola Marymount 1-0 in dramatic fashion after the Lions scored an own goal with less than 30 seconds remaining in the second half. The victory gives Portland its first West Coast Conference win as the team improves to 3-2-2 (1-1 WCC) on the season. LMU drops to 5-4-0 (1-1 WCC).

The deciding goal came at the 89:31 mark after Portland was awarded a free kick outside the box. The ball was sent in front of the goal mouth and found the back of the net after an errant LMU clear. It was the first goal scored by the Pilots in over 270 minutes of play.

Senior goalkeeper Luis Robles recorded his third shutout of the season and 20th of his Pilot career. Robles recorded six saves in the match, including a late save on a shot by LMU's Nick Blanco to preserve the shutout with less than three minutes to go. Junior Jeff Griffin also made a key defensive play in the 83rd minute when he cleared a ball off the goal line, preventing an LMU score.

The two teams combined for 37 fouls (24 for LMU, 13 for Portland) in a very physical match that featured five yellow cards and two red cards. Portland's Bryan Irwin was sent off four minutes into the second half after being shown his second yellow card of the match, leaving the Pilots playing a man down.

The Lions were unable to benefit from the advantage, however, and the game was evened after LMU's Brad Stisser was shown a red card in the 70th minute. Stisser had six shots in the game up to that point, leading the Lions.

LMU outshot the Pilots 19-8 in the game, including six shots in the opening 20 minutes as the Lions came out of the opening kick-off applying pressure to the Pilot defense. Junior Matthew Dallman (pictured) had Portland's first shot in the 21st minute. Dallman spearheaded the UP attack, recording five shots (including two on goal) to lead the Pilots. Collen Warner, Chris Sanders and Alex Elliott also had shots for Portland.

Portland returns home for a non-conference match against Seattle on Friday, Sept. 29, and then continues WCC play, traveling to San Francisco to face the No. 11 Dons on Sunday, Oct. 1.

San Diego - 4
Gonzaga - 0

San Diego, Calif. - Gonzaga University's men's soccer team suffered a second straight West Coast Conference shutout, this time 4-0 at the University of San Diego on Sunday as the Bulldogs wrapped up their southern California swing to open WCC play.

The Bulldogs (3-4-1; 0-2-0) lost at Loyola Marymount University on Friday 1-0 in the WCC opener.

Sunday's loss was the second time this season the Bulldogs have been blanked 4-0, UC Davis turning the trick at Gonzaga on the opening weekend of the season. The loss was Gonzaga's worst in WCC play since Oct. 3, 2004, when the Toreros also posted a 4-0 home shutout victory. The Bulldogs also suffered back-to-back shutouts for the first time since 2004 when Gonzaga was blanked in its final three matches of the season. USD (7-1-0, 2-0-0) won its fifth straight match and its fourth straight shutout victory.

The Toreros didn't waste any time getting a solid scoring opportunity, Ciaran O'Brien getting a breakaway against Gonzaga keeper Vito Higgins in the 10th minute, but his shot flew wide right.

USD scored its first goal at 18:34. O'Brien popped the ball high in the air towards the Gonzaga goal. Midfielder Tannen Wels was inside the penalty box and went air born with his back to the goal and a defender on him. Wels headed the ball off the back of his head high in the air and over Higgins, the shot going in just under the crossbar.

The Toreros took a 2-0 halftime lead. O'Brien intercepted a pass from the Gonzaga defense, eluded the defense and fired a shot past Higgins at 44:06.

USD added two insurance tallies in the second half.

Gonzaga was out shot 19-9. Higgins had four saves, while USD keeper Lance Friesz had two saves for the shutout.

Gonzaga completes a stretch of seven straight road matches when the Bulldogs travel to two-defending WCC champion University of San Francisco on Friday. The Bulldogs, who opened the season with back-to-back homes matches Aug. 25-27, return home for the first time since then when they entertain Santa Clara University on Oct. 6.

Santa Clara - 2
San Francisco - 1

San Francisco, Calif. - Santa Clara got a first half goal by Keith Devey and a second half goal by Sean Danzeiser to upset #13 USF 2-1 Sunday at Negoesco Stadium.

Fifteenth ranked Santa Clara improved to 5-2-2, 1-0 in West Coast Conference play, while USF fell to 5-3-1, 0-2 in league action.

Santa Clara drew first blood in the third minute when Amaechi Igwe took a long pass and raced down the left side. He unleashed a hard bouncing shot that USF goalkeeper Geremy Uhl saved but was unable to control. The Broncos Keith Devey raced in, beat everyone to the loose ball and easily knocked the ball into the far side, just 2:40 into the contest.

USF and Santa Clara each had additional scoring chances in the first half. Santa Clara goalkeeper Joseph Buttitta blocked close shots by Aaron Chandler and Robert Smith before the Broncos' Peter Lowry hit the cross bar after chipping a long shot over Uhl.

Opening the second half, USF's Chandler and Jesse Henderson each missed shots just wide before Santa Clara struck again. Sean Danzeiser collided with a USF defender just inside the penalty box and then went in alone on Uhl, beating him low from 12 yards.

USF got to within a single goal with 19:44 remaining when Matt Languis beat SCU goalkeeper Joseph Buttitta from 20 yards.

The Dons continued to press and almost equalized immediately thereafter. Languis had a shot blocked by the Santa Clara defense and a follow up shot by Ardalan Attar sailed wide.

The Dons wound up outshooting Santa Clara 15-9 in the match.

USF kept the ball in their offensive end for the last 15 minutes but were unable to get the equalizer.

"I thought that it a very hard fought, well played college game," said Dons' head coach Erik Visser. "The early goal by Santa Clara changed the entire dynamic of the game. The second half we battled and played aggressively. We scored a good goal.

"This is obviously not the start of conference play we were looking for, but we've been in this situation before and now have to battle back."

The Dons continue their homestand Friday night when they host Gonzaga Friday.