{{ article.title }}

Thrilling Tie With Toreros

Oct. 12, 2006

Box Score

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - LMU and San Diego played to a thrilling 1-1 tie this afternoon in WCC men's soccer action at Sullivan Field. The Toreros took a lead 20 seconds into the game, and played with the 1-0 lead for over 87 minutes. But in the 88th minute LMU drew a penalty kick in the box and Diego Barrera converted to tie things up. The next 22 minutes of soccer were back and forth with each team having outstanding chances, but neither team could score and the game ended in a 1-1 tie. The two teams will have a crack at victory again as they will face off on Sunday in San Diego for the second time in three days.

San Diego (7-4-1, 2-3-1) stunned the Lions (6-5-2, 2-2-2) in the opening minute of the game. USD played the ball down the left side and Tannen Wells found Michael Caso wide open in front of the net. The senior forward headed the ball past LMU goalkeeper Robert Flores with just 20 seconds off the clock to give USD the quick 1-0 lead.

The Toreros controlled the flow of play for most of the first half, but the Lions came to life in the last 10 minutes of the half and started to show some firepower. Four of LMU's first first half shots came in the last 10 minutes of the period.

LMU played strong during the second half as well, outshooting USD 9-1. But none of the shots made it to the back of the net and USD held on to the 1-0 advantage until the 88th minute. Central defender Bobby Burling was moved up top to try to create more offense and drew a penalty kick when the referee ruled that USD goalkeeper Lance Friesz had grabbed his jersey to prevent Burling from heading the ball in the box. Barrera calmly stepped up to the ball and launched a shot to the left, while Friesz dove the wrong way, and LMU tied the game 1-1.

The Lions nearly took the lead in the final minute when Trini Gomez and Brad Stisser had shots from close range, but Friesz came up strong, making point blank saves in the closing seconds to send the game into overtime.

LMU had two shots in the first overtime, and USD took two shots in the second overtime, but neither team scored. The second overtime period had more dramatics as USD appeared to score the golden goal, but a Torero was ruled offside and the goal was nullified. LMU keeper Flores quickly kicked the ball into play to restart the game, and LMU's offense drove the length of the field, with David Niemeyer putting in what he thought was the game-winner. However, the referee had blown his whistle back on the other side of the field and LMU's goal was taken back.

For the game, LMU outshot USD 16-10, with both teams having four shots on goal. LMU did not allow a shot on goal in the final 88 minutes of the game. Stisser, Barrera and Gomez each had three shots for the Lions, while Ciaran O'Brien led the Toreros with four shots. Each goalkeeper made three saves in the game.

The two teams will battle again on Sunday as they begin the second half of conference play in San Diego. Game time is set for 2:00pm, and gametracker will be available on www.LMULions.com.

San Diego (7-4-1, 2-3-1) vs. Loyola Marymount (6-5-2, 2-2-2) Date: Oct 12, 2006  Attendance: 480 Weather: cool, mid 60s

Goals by period 1 2 OT O2 Tot ------------------------------------- San Diego........... 1 0 0 0 - 1 Loyola Marymount.... 0 1 0 0 - 1

SCORING SUMMARY: 1. 0:20 USD CASO, Michael (WELS, Tannen) - header off cross 2. 87:45 LMU Barrera, Diego Penalty kick

Shots: San Diego 10, Loyola Marymount 16 Saves: San Diego 3 (FRIESZ, Lance 3), Loyola Marymount 3 (FLORES, Robert 3)