{{ article.title }}

Bulldogs Remain Undefeated In WCC Play

Oct. 12, 2007

Box Score

SPOKANE, Wash. - Gonzaga University's men's soccer team ran its unbeaten streak to seven matches and remained undefeated in West Coast Conference play with a 3-1 win over Loyola Marymount University Friday at Martin Field.

The Bulldogs (8-2-1, 3-0-1) haven't been on such a tear since 1998 when the squad put together a 12-match unbeaten string that included an 8-match winning streak, the Bulldogs going 10-0-2 during the streak.

Gonzaga took an early 1-0 lead when Spokane native Grant Lundberg scored his third goal of the season at 13:04 on a sprawling header off a cross from George Josten. The ball skittered past LMU (2-6-1, 0-2-0) keeper Patrick Lane to the far right post and into the net, Lundberg getting just enough on the ball to re-direct it at the last second.

The Lions came back to knot the match at 35:00, Rafael Baca scoring his first goal of the season on a shot that just eluded diving Gonzaga keeper Vito Higgins. It was the first goal against the Bulldogs and Higgins in 255:05.

Tye Perdido scored his third goal of the season and notched his second match winner at 59:50. Tim Muravez gained possession in the box and fed Perdido on the left side who beat Lane to the upper corner.

Freshman Phillippe Garre scored his second career goal for the insurance tally at 72:54. He took a pass from Lundberg and beat Lane from straightaway from 18 yards.

The Bulldogs held a 22-4 edge in shots as the Lions managed just two shots in each half. Higgins was called on for just one save late in the match. Lane had six saves in the LMU net.

The Bulldogs are off to their best WCC start since 200 when they won their first three matches. The 1998 team won its first five WCC matches before losing its season-finale to finish 5-1. The WCC adopted the double round robin schedule in 004.

Gonzaga, which returned home for the first time since Sept. 7 with Friday's win, remains home Sunday to face the University of San Diego at 2 p.m. The Toreros were at the University of Portland for a Friday night match.