{{ article.title }}

WCC Men's Soccer Recaps

Oct. 19, 2007

San Diego - 2
Saint Mary's - 0

SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The University of San Diego men's soccer team posted a 2-0 shutout against the Saint Mary's College Gaels. With the victory, that marks the third straight victory for the Toreros moving them to .500 winning percentage at 6-6 overall and a 3-1 conference mark. The Gaels fall to 4-5-2 and 0-3-1.

In the 19th minute, USD was fouled on the right side of the field just outside the penalty box. Sophomore midfielder Fabrice Gautrat lined up a shot from 21 yards out and sent a ball sailing over the defense into opposite corner of the net for a 1-0 lead.

Later in the 78th minute, San Diego forward Eddie Ahman passed a ball to forward Chase Tangney on the nearside from about 28 yards away. Tangney fired off a shot that bent up and over the Gaels defense again. Tangney's shot slipped by Gaels keeper Keenan Flynn into the far corner of the net for a the 2-0 win.

San Diego out-shot Saint Mary's 9-7, while the Gael's posted six corner kicks to the Toreros two. San Diego goal keeper Kelin Briones recorded five saves in the shutout.

USD returns to Torero Stadium on Sunday afternoon at 2:30 p.m. to take on the University of San Francisco Dons.

San Francisco - 2
Loyola Marymount - 1

Los Angeles - USF broke through for its first West Coast Conference victory of the season with a 2-1 decision against Loyola Marymount Friday afternoon at Sullivan Field. The Dons (5-6-0, 1-3-0 WCC) snap a five match losing streak, and send the Lions (2-7-1, 0-4-0) to their fourth consecutive loss.

Freshman forward Bryan Burke picked an outstanding time for his first career goal in the Green and Gold, notching the game-winner at 69:59.

Senior midfielder Jeff Russell struck first, giving the Dons a 1-0 lead midway through the first half. It was the first career goal and first career points for Russell, who drove it in off a deflection at the 20:17 mark from 18 yards. Prior to Russell's tally, both senior forward Jordan Keyes and senior defender Daniel DeGeer attempted shots.

LMU owned a 6-3 shots advantage in the first period, but junior goalkeeper Eric Conner recorded a pair of saves to turn away the Lions. USF increased the pressure in the second half with a 12-8 edge and held a slim 15-14 lead for the match. Russell fired a match-high five shots, while DeGeer added three.

Loyola Marymount got on the board with a goal from junior midfielder Brad Stisser in the 64th minute, but Burke answered with his first career scoring strike six minutes later off a cross from sophomore forward Conor Chinn.

Conner (3-5-0) collects the win while collecting five saves, while freshman Patrick Lane (2-6-1) suffered the loss for LMU, finishing with four saves.

USF concludes its Southern California swing Sunday, October 21 at San Diego. Match time against the Toreros is set for Sunday, October 21 at 2:00 PM at Torero Stadium.

Match Notes: USF now leads the all-time series against LMU 19-3-1, including a 6-1-0 record since the start of double round robin play in 2004... The Dons 2-1 decision marks the fifth time this season San Francisco has scored at least two goals, all coming in winning efforts... it is first multi-goal match for USF since posting a 2-1 double overtime win at Stanford (9/16).

Portland - 0
Santa Clara - 0

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The No. 3 Santa Clara Broncos earned a tough 0-0 tie against West Coast Conference rival, Portland, on a rainy and windy Friday night at Buck Shaw Stadium. The Broncos held a 15-3 advantage in shots, but could not put one in the back of the net. Kevin Klasila earned his sixth shutout in eight games for SCU, who is now 9-1-3 (4-0-1 WCC) on the season.

The Broncos took control of the game early on and kept the pressure on the Pilots throughout the first half. Seven minutes in, captain Jamil Roberts had probably the best chance of the half for SCU. Kellen Wantulok sent a free kick into the box that was cleared away to the top of the box by the Portland defense. Roberts one-timed a hard shot that went over the net.

After being stifled in the first half, The Broncos came out in the second half looking for the lead and they had two excellent chances in the opening 15 minutes of the half to break through.

Matt Marquess almost gave the Broncos the lead eight minutes into the half. After receiving the ball on the right side, he shook himself free from two defenders and ripped a left-footed shot from outside the box that went just inches wide of the post.

Minutes later, Peter Lowry got open on the left wing and broke into the box. The reigning WCC Player of the Month unloaded a low shot to the far post, but Pilots goalkeeper Austin Guerrero got down low for the save.

The rain and wind began to pick up in the middle stages of the second half, making the game difficult for both teams. With slippery footing and high winds, chances were scarce until the final minutes.

Lowry then set up Marquess for a shot with 10 minutes left that nearly won the game for SCU. Lowry got the ball at the top of the box and slipped a pass through for Marquess, who one-timed a shot that sailed wide of the far post.

The game headed to overtime still looking for the game's first goal.

Roberts had a chance to provide that goal, but his close-range header hit the post in the first overtime. Wantulok sent a corner kick to the back post, where Roberts out-muscled his defender to get his head on the ball. Unfortunately, the ball found the post and was cleared away by the Pilots defense.

Santa Clara gets right back to work on Sunday, Oct. 21 with a top-of-the-table clash against the Gonzaga Bulldogs at Buck Shaw Stadium. The game kicks off at 2 p.m. PT, following the Santa Clara women's game at 12 noon PT.