{{ article.title }}

WCC Men's Soccer Recaps

Oct. 21, 2007

Saint Mary's - 1
Loyola Marymount - 0

Los Angeles, CA - Freshman defender Scott Eberhardt scored his first collegiate goal to help the Saint Mary's men's soccer team post a 1-0 West Coast Conference road win over the Loyola Marymount Lions on Sunday afternoon from Sullivan Field.

Saint Mary's scored the games only goal when Eberhardt scored on a volley following a cross by Justin Kim from the left corner. The Eberhardt goal came at 28:31, and ended a four-game scoreless streak for the Gaels. The assist from Kim improves his team-leading total to five for the year.

Saint Mary's goalkeeper Keenan Flynn held the Lions scoreless, making five saves in the game. The shutout marked the second of the season, and he now has a 2-1-1 record in four starts this season.

The Lions outshot the Gaels 17-9 for the game and LMU had a 6-2 advantage in corner kicks. The Gaels' Dylan Leslie led the team with three shots and Kim had two shots. LMU's Adam Sloustcher led all players with four shots, with three shots on goal.

The WCC win snapped a 14-game winless streak for the Gaels against conference opponents. After winning the first two games against conference opponents in 2006, the Gaels posted a 0-12-2 record since then. The goal by Eberhardt also marked the first score this season for the Gaels against WCC opponents.

Saint Mary's will return to WCC action on Friday, October 26 when the Gaels travel to San Francisco for a 7 p.m. game at Negoesco Stadium.

Gonzaga - 1
Santa Clara - 1

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara men's soccer team extended its unbeaten run to 11 straight games with a 1-1 tie on Sunday at Buck Shaw Stadium in a match-up of two of the West Coast Conference's top teams. Jide Ogunbiyi scored in the 78th minute for the Broncos to tie the game and neither team could score in overtime. SCU outshot the Bulldogs 25-10 overall in the match and forced their goalkeeper Vito Higgins to make 11 saves. Santa Clara is now 9-1-4 on the season and 4-0-2 in conference play.

Matt Hatzke set up the Broncos first chance of the game in the opening minutes with a nice run down the left wing. He beat his defender and sent a low cross to Peter Lowry in the middle of the box. Lowry one-timed a shot that went wide of the right post.

The Bulldogs opened the scoring 12 minutes into the game with a goal by Tim Muravez. George Josten set up Muravez, who got behind the defense and slotted a shot to the far post past Broncos goalkeeper Kevin Klasila.

Jide Ogunbiyi sent Matt Marquess through for a great opportunity with 15 minutes left in the half. Ogunbiyi received a ball at the top of the box and turned his defender before slipping a pass through for Marquess. Marquess hit a right-footed shot that deflected off Higgins' hands and out for a corner kick.

The Broncos started the second half with renewed energy, keeping the Zags pinned in their own end and creating a number of dangerous situations. A Hatzke free kick provided the most dangerous chance of the opening minutes of the half. He ripped a free kick from 25 yards out that deflected just over the net.

Marquess returned the favor to Ogunbiyi with a perfect cross with 15 minutes remaining in the match. Marquess took the ball down the right wing and picked out Ogunbiyi at the back post. Ogunbiyi's header appeared headed for the back of the net, but Higgins recovered to make the save for the Bulldogs and keep his team in the lead.

Marquess and Ogunbiyi connected minutes later to level the match. Marquess made a great move on the left wing to get enough space for a cross. He whipped in a low ball that found Ogunbiyi at the back post, where the junior forward buried the ball into the upper part of the net to tie the game at one goal apiece.

Jamil Roberts nearly added another to his season total with under 10 minutes to go in the match. After a poor clearance by the Bulldogs, Roberts drilled a low shot that went through a crowd of players, but Higgins got down to make the save.

Marquess saved a goal with a great recovery at the back post. The Zags Grant Lundberg got free on the wing and sent a low ball across the goalmouth past Klasila, but Marquess recovered to knock the ball away before Gonzaga could get a shot.

In second overtime, Kellen Wantulok had the game on his left foot after a cross from the left wing. Wantulok received the cross at the back post and unloaded a shot that whipped just past the right post.

The Broncos have next weekend off before hosting two games on Nov. 2 and Nov. 4 at Buck Shaw Stadium. SCU takes on San Diego on Nov. 2 and Loyola Marymount on Nov. 4 in WCC play.

San Francisco - 0
San Diego - 0

SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The University of San Diego men's soccer team (6-6-1, 3-1-1 WCC) took the University of San Francisco Dons (5-6-1, 1-3-1 WCC) into double overtime on Sunday afternoon at Torero Stadium recording their first tie of the season.

The Toreros had three solid opportunities in the final 15 minutes of regulation, all of which were taken from inside the penalty box, but were unable to capitalize on the chances given.

One such look included a nice centering pass from senior forward Tannen Wels from 25 yards out on the far left side to sophomore forward Chase Tangney who was inside the goalie box. Tangney was unable to find the back of the net as his shot was blocked by the Dons defense.

USF took two shots on goal in the two overtime periods to USD's one. USF took a total of six shots to USD's seven. Also, the Don's posted four corner kicks to the Toreros three.

San Francisco keeper Eric Conner recorded one save while Torero keeper Kelin Briones tallied two saves.

San Diego returns to Torero Stadium for their last match of this three-game homestand on Thursday, October 25th at 7:00 p.m. as they take on the Loyola Marymount University Lions.