{{ article.title }}

San Diego Defeats Saint Mary's 4-0 In Final Home Match

Oct. 29, 2006

SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The University of San Diego men's soccer team (10-6-1, 5-5-1 WCC) shutout the Saint Mary's College Gaels (4-9-5, 2-6-2 WCC) Sunday afternoon 4-0 at Torero Stadium. In their final home match of the season two seniors scored goals and two senior tallied assists capping the homestand.

In the 8th minute, San Diego found themselves in the Gaels goalie box as Ryan Guy took a shot which was blocked by Gaels goalkeeper Brian Mason right back to Guy. Guy dished the ball back to Pohl inside the goalie box who found the net taking a 1-0 lead.

In the 14th minute, Guy raced up the left side of the field and into the penalty box where he took a shot from 23 yards out past Mason who dove right. Mason got a hand on the ball but it wasn't enough of a block as the ball rolled into the net for a 2-0 lead.

In the 49th minute, midfielder Kevin Meissner got a ball sent to him at the top of the penalty box. Meissner headed the ball off a bounce to forward JT Howlan who took one touch and fired off a shot past Mason for a 3-0 lead.

In the 80th minute, forward Chase Tangney passed a ball from outside the penalty box sent through two Gael defenders to forward Ciaran O'Brien who one-on-one against Mason. O'Brien's shot went right slipping past Mason lifting the Toreros to a 4-0 victory.

For the Gaels, Carlos Diaz and Mark Araujo tallied three shots each coming in off the bench. Saint Mary's totaled 13 shots in the match. Goalkeeper Brian Mason finished with four goals against and four saves.

For San Diego, Guy had a team high four shots, three shots on goal, one goal and one assist. Howlan had three shots, two shots on goal, and one goal. Lance Friesz tallied three saves giving him his fourth shutout of the 2006 season.

San Diego will travel back to the Bay Area this upcoming weekend to take on the Dons of the University of San Francisco to wrap up their regular season. Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m. at Negoesco Stadium.