{{ article.title }}

Flynn Records Fourth Shutout In 0-0 Draw With Gonzaga

Nov. 4, 2007

Box Score

Spokane, WA - The Saint Mary's men's soccer team played the Gonzaga Bulldogs to a 0-0 draw in a West Coast Conference game on Sunday afternoon from Martin Field. SMC's sophomore goalkeeper made six saves en route to his fourth shutout of the season. The Gaels are now 6-7-2 overall and 2-5-2 in WCC play. The Bulldogs are 9-3-4 overall and 4-1-4 against conference competition.

Saint Mary's had to play the final five minutes of the second overtime when Jared Medina was red carded for a hard tackle. Following the ejection the Bulldogs got a header from Nick Barclay that sailed high and a lob shot by Philippe Garre from 16 yards on the right wing that just sailed high over keeper Keenan Flynn and the cross bar.

Saint Mary's had the first good scoring opportunity, but a shot by Nick Cashmere from just outside the six, was misses wide to the far post. SMC's second opportunity was stalled by a Vito Higgins saves on a Justin Kim shot from 20 yards out. Gonzaga's first threat came at 39:51 when Bryan Mullaney's shot deflected off a Saint Mary's defender, and Flynn had to make a diving save to his right to keep the Gaels even at halftime.

Flynn kept the match scoreless heading to overtime with a pair of diving saves late in the first half. The first came in the 38th minute when John Palladino's hard free kick from 22 yards hooked and forced Flynn to make a diving save to his right. In the 40th minute Bryan Mullaney took a shot that deflected off a defender, changed directions and forced Flynn to make another diving stop to his right. Flynn finished the game with six saves.

Gonzaga had another chance in the 58th minute, Daniel Scott's header near the right post off a free kick stopped Flynn. The best chance might have been in the 80th minute when Josten's shot from near the right post got behind Flynn and a defender kicked the ball out of harms way at the goal line.

Most of the Gaels shots on goal were from long range. Bulldog keeper Vito Higgins had just one of his four saves for the match in the first half, that a shot from 20 yards on the right wing, a low hard shot that Higgins stopped. His three second-half saves were on shots from 18, 25 and 15 yards, the latter perhaps his toughest save as he knocked down Dylan Leslie's shot before corralling the ball.

Higgins recorded his sixth of the season making four saves in the game. Gonzaga held a 15-9 edge in shots and the Bulldogs had 11 corner kicks to just three for the Gaels.

Saint Mary's will return to action on with one game next week, that a Sunday evening road game against the Santa Clara Broncos. The game between SMC and Santa Clara will begin at 7 p.m. on November 11 at SCU's Buck Shaw Stadium.