{{ article.title }}

San Diego Snaps Losing Streak With 3-1 Win Over Saint Mary's

Nov. 16, 2007

MORAGA, Calif. - University of San Diego sophomore defender Tim Grey scored the game winning goal as well as notching a second goal lifting the Toreros (10-8-1, 7-3-1 WCC) to a 3-1 West Coast Conference victory over the Saint Mary's Gaels (6-9-2, 2-7-2 WCC) on Friday Afternoon from Garaventa Field.

San Diego responded with an attack and on their first shot of the game, USD scored the first goal in the third minute of the match.

Junior midfielder Eddie Ahman dribbled the ball into the right corner on the far side. Ahman crossed the ball perfectly in the penalty box where Howlan fired off a header to the far post past SMC goalkeeper Keenan Flynn.

San Diego held its 1-0 lead into halftime, but the Gaels outshot the Toreros 6-3 in the first half, had four shots on goal compared to two by USD. Both teams had one corner kick at the intermission.

In the 48th minute, USD scored again similar to the Howlan goal, only Howlan passed off to Tim Grey who finished the play with a header inside the left post.

The USD lead reached 3-0 when Grey scored his second goal of the game and of the season. For the third time in the game, San Diego scored on a header, but this cross came off a free kick from just outside the left corner of the penalty box. Fabrice Gautrat swung the left-footed cross into the box, and Grey out-jumped a Saint Mary's defender to push the ball into the back of the net.

Saint Mary's answered in the 80th minute when Justin Kim scored his first goal of the season. Just like the San Diego goals, Kim also scored on a header. The shot came following a corner kick off the foot of Eric Robert from the right corner.

The Toreros were out-shot 14-7 by the Gaels. Goalkeeping duties were split between junior Kelin Briones and freshman Mike Sinodis combining for eight saves. SMC goalie Flynn made only one save.

San Diego will finish their 2007 season against the University of San Francisco Don's on Sunday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. at Negoesco Field.