{{ article.title }}

Bitter End to Tough Season

Nov. 18, 2007

Box Score

Moraga, CA - A difficult season came to a trying end Sunday afternoon when Saint Mary's scored the game-winning goal with five seconds left for a 2-1 victory over LMU in a West Coast Conference match at Moraga, CA. The Lions (3-16-1, 1-11-0 WCC) took the lead but played the final 76 minutes a man down as the Gaels (7-9-2, 3-7-2 WCC) came back with two goals in the second half.

On the final day of the regular season and Senior Day for the Saint Mary's men's soccer team, it was only fitting that senior Eric Robert scored the game-winning goal with just five seconds left in regulation.

The winning goal was scored on the 90th minute, after LMU was whistled for a foul at the top of the penalty box. From almost straight on, Robert fired a left-footed shot into the top left corner of the goal to give the Gaels their only lead of the game with just five seconds left on the clock.

In a very physical game that produced 32 fouls, seven yellow cards, and two red cards, LMU took a 1-0 lead in the first half. In the 14th minute, freshman Rafael Baca hit a shot from 22 yards out that caromed off the crossbar. Sophomore Steffen Canty was first to the rebound to score his first career goal at 13:20.

As soon as they had the lead, the Lions' fortunes changed. Junior Greg Ricks picked up his second yellow card at 14:54 and LMU was reduced to 10 men for the remainder of the game.

LMU's lead held until 62:48 when Mark Araujo scored on a controversial goal for Saint Mary's. SMC's Nick Cashmere took a shot from the right corner of the penalty box and Araujo redirected the shot with a header. The ball hit the far post and looked like it bounced away from the goal. LMU played the ball off the goal line but the official ruled that the ball did hit inside the goal line, giving SMC the equalizing goal.

The game seemed to be heading to overtime before SMC's game-winner emerged out of nothing. The Lions out-shot the Gaels 11-7 in the game and 6-2 in the second half but could not translate those opportunities into a victory. It was LMU's eighth loss by a single goal this year.

Saint Mary's goalkeeper Brian Mason made four saves while sophomore goalkeeper Patrick Sampson made one save.