Oct. 23, 2007
WCC Player of the Week
Kelin Briones, San Diego
Kelin Briones was outstanding in goal as San Diego extended its unbeaten streak to four games with a win over Saint Mary's and a tie with San Francisco over the weekend. The goalkeeper posted shutouts in both contests, collecting seven saves on the week and moving into a tie for third place in the WCC with four clean sheets. The junior made five saves in Friday's 2-0 victory over the Gaels, and added a pair of saves in Sunday's tie with the Dons. Briones has played every minute in goal for the Toreros so far this season, and enters the week with 40 saves on the year.
San Diego at Loyola Marymount* - 12:00 PM
Portland at Gonzaga* - 2:00 PM
Saint Mary's at San Francisco* - 7:00 PM
San Francisco at Saint Mary's* - 2:00 PM
Loyola Marymount at San Diego* - 7:00 PM
* Denotes Conference Game
Around the WCC
LMU's Gomez And SCU's Lowry Among Finalists For Lowe's Senior CLASS Award
Two of the 10 finalists for the Lowe's Senior CLASS Award hail from the West Coast Conference, as Loyola Marymount's Trini Gomez and Santa Clara's Peter Lowry were named to the list of finalists last week. Gonzaga's George Josten was also one of the 20 national candidates for the award before the list was pared down to 10 finalists. An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School, the award was launched during the 2001-02 season in response to the trend of college basketball players leaving college early to turn professional. With the addition of men's and women's soccer in fall 2007, a total of eight sports are now included in the awards program. Winners will be announced during the NCAA Soccer Championships, scheduled on December 14-16 in Cary, NC.
SCU Tops In NSCAA/adidas West Region Rankings
The Santa Clara Broncos were ranked No. 1 in the NSCAA/adidas West Region rankings for the eighth straight week after tying Portland and Gonzaga over the weekend. The Zags remained at No. 6 in the regional listing after playing to the 1-1 draw with the Broncos. San Francisco is the only other conference team to earn a regional ranking this season, garnering a No. 5 listing on September 18.
WCC Team Notes
Gonzaga Bulldogs (8-3-2 / 3-1-2 WCC)
- Gonzaga traveled to Santa Clara and battled the No. 3 ranked Broncos to a 1-1 tie on Sunday in the lone match of the week for the Zags.
- Tim Muravez scored his first goal of the year on Sunday, getting an assist from George Josten. It marked the sixth assist of the year for Josten, which is the fifth highest single-season total in GU program history. It was also the 16th assist of the senior's career, which moved him into a tie with current assistant coach Mike Thompson (1996-99) for third place on the all-time list.
- Vito Higgins collected a career-high 11 saves in between the pipes for the Zags on Sunday. The senior goalkeeper, who leads the conference with 53 saves, also established a single-game season-high for the WCC with his save total against the Broncos.
- The Bulldogs return home for four of their last six matches of the season, including this weekend's contest with Northwest rival Portland (10/26) at Martin Field.
Loyola Marymount Lions (2-9-1 / 0-5-0 WCC)
- Loyola Marymount dropped a pair of matches at home, falling 2-1 to San Francisco on Friday before suffering a 1-0 defeat against Saint Mary's on Sunday.
- Brad Stisser tallied the Lions' goal against San Francisco, scoring on a free kick in the 70th minute. It marked the team-leading second goal of the season for the junior, with both scoring strikes coming on set pieces.
- Goalkeeper Patrick Lane collected six saves in net over the weekend, including four against the Dons, and moved into a tie for fourth place in the WCC with 38 saves on the season.
- Loyola Marymount will meet Southern California rival San Diego for a pair of games this week. The Lions will host the Toreros on Friday (10/26) before traveling to meet USD on Monday (10/29).
Portland Pilots (5-4-4 / 2-1-3 WCC)
- Portland traveled to No. 3 ranked Santa Clara on Friday, and played the Broncos to a scoreless draw at Buck Shaw Stadium.
- Austin Guerrero was solid in net once again for the Pilots, as the freshman made a diving save in the 61st minute to preserve the shutout against the Broncos. Friday's game marked the fifth clean sheet of the season for Guerrero, who ranks second in the conference in shutouts.
- Nine different Pilots have scored goals so far this season, with Alex Elliott and Ryan Luke leading the way with four goals apiece. Bryan Irwin, who logged UP's lone shot on goal against Santa Clara, ranks third on the team with three goals on the year.
- Portland returns to action on the road at No. 27 ranked Gonzaga (10/26) in the lone match of the week for both squads.
Saint Mary's Gaels (5-5-1 / 1-3-1 WCC)
- Saint Mary's rebounded from a 2-0 defeat at San Diego on Friday to edge Loyola Marymount on the road on Sunday, 1-0.
- Scott Eberhardt scored his first career goal to lift the Gaels to Sunday's win over the Lions. The freshman's 29th minute scoring strike snapped a four-game scoreless streak for the Saint Mary's squad.
- Justin Kim assisted on Eberhardt's goal, moving him into a tie for third place in the conference with five assists on the season.
- Keenan Flynn made five saves in net en route to posting his second shutout on Sunday.
- SMC visits USF (10/26) before returning home to face the Dons (10/28) this weekend.
San Diego Toreros (6-6-1 / 3-1-1 WCC)
- San Diego extended its unbeaten streak to four games after notching a 2-0 win over Saint Mary's, and posting a scoreless draw with San Francisco at home over the weekend.
- Fabrice Gautrat and Chase Tangney provided the goals in Friday's win over Saint Mary's. Gautrat's free kick strike moved him into a tie for the team lead with three goals on the year, while Tangney's goal marked his first of the season.
- Goalkeeper Kelin Briones picked up a pair of shutouts in between the pipes over the weekend, collecting seven saves in 200 minutes of action. Briones enters the week tied for third in the WCC with four clean sheets on the season.
- San Diego looks to extend its unbeaten streak this week, as the Toreros travel to Loyola Marymount (10/26) before returning home to face the Lions (10/29).
San Francisco Dons (5-6-1 / 1-3-1 WCC)
- San Francisco snapped a five-game skid by handing Loyola Marymount a 2-1 defeat on the road on Friday. The Dons then traveled to San Diego on Sunday where they battled the Toreros to a scoreless draw.
- Senior Jeff Russell and freshman Bryan Burke each tallied their first career goal in Friday's win over the Lions. Russell's goal came in the 21st minute, while Burke provided the game-winner on an assist from Conor Chinn in the 70th minute. The win marked the sixth straight for USF over LMU.
- Eric Conner notched his first shutout of the season, collecting a save in Sunday's tie with San Diego.
- San Francisco looks to continue its roll with a pair of games against Bay Area rival Saint Mary's. USF hosts the Gaels (10/26) before traveling to Moraga (10/28) this week.
Santa Clara Broncos (9-1-4 / 4-0-2 WCC)
- Santa Clara posted a pair of ties at home over the weekend, extending its unbeaten streak to 11 straight games. The Broncos played Portland to a scoreless tie on Friday, and battled then-No. 28 ranked Gonzaga to a 1-1 draw on Sunday.
- Kevin Klasila collected a save en route to posting his sixth shutout of the season in Friday's tie with the Pilots. The freshman has recorded a conference-leading six clean sheets in 10 matches, and leads the WCC with a 0.31 goals against average.
- Jidi Ogunbiyi tallied the equalizer in the 78th minute of Sunday's draw with the Zags, scoring on an assist from Matt Marquess. It marked the fifth strike of the season for Ogunbiyi, who moved into a tie for second place in the conference in goals.
- The Broncos, who have not lost a match since September 7, will have the week off before returning to action at home against San Diego (11/2).
Games To Watch
Portland at #27 Gonzaga - Friday, October 26 at 2:00 PM
Pacific Northwest rivals Portland and Gonzaga will meet for the second time this season, as the Pilots travel to Spokane for a WCC showdown on Friday. The Zags moved up to No. 27 in the College Soccer News rankings this week after playing No. 3 Santa Clara to a 1-1 tie on Sunday. Portland is also coming off of a tie at Santa Clara, having held the Broncos to a scoreless draw on Friday. The two teams played to a 1-1 tie on September 29.
San Francisco at Saint Mary's - Sunday, October 28 at 2:00 PM
Bay Area rivals San Francisco and Saint Mary's will meet twice this weekend, with Sunday's match taking place in Moraga. Both teams registered road wins over Loyola Marymount last weekend, marking the first victory of the season in conference play for each squad. The two programs have split the season series in each of the last two years, with each side posting a 1-0 victory at home during last year's two-game set.