Nov. 6, 2007
WCC Player of the Week
Peter Lowry, Santa Clara
Peter Lowry helped Santa Clara move closer to its second straight WCC title, scoring a goal and adding a pair of assists as the Broncos knocked off San Diego and Loyola Marymount at home. Lowry assisted on both goals in Santa Clara's 2-1 victory over the Toreros on Friday, moving the Broncos back into first place in the league standings. The senior then opened the scoring in Sunday's 3-1 win over the Lions, tallying on a penalty kick to give the senior a conference-leading seven goals on the season. It marks the second Player of the Week honor of the year for Lowry.
Gonzaga at Loyola Marymount* - 3:00 PM
Portland at San Diego* - 7:00 PM
Santa Clara at San Francisco* - 7:00 PM
Gonzaga at San Diego* - 2:00 PM
Portland at Loyola Marymount* - 2:00 PM
Saint Mary's at Santa Clara* - 7:00 PM
* Denotes Conference Game
Around The WCC
Race For The WCC Title Heats Up
The race for the WCC men's soccer title hits the home stretch this weekend, with four teams still in contention for the automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. Santa Clara, who has yet to suffer defeat in WCC play this year, is at the top of the table with 20 points, while Gonzaga, Portland, and San Diego are all tied for second place with 16 points. The Zags and Pilots visit Southern California for crucial conference clashes with the Toreros and LMU this weekend, while Santa Clara will square off against Bay Area rivals San Francisco and Saint Mary's.
San Diego's Jennings Named WCC Player of the Month
Colin Jennings led San Diego to the top of the WCC standings during the month of October, as the Toreros posted a 5-2-1 record, including a 5-1-1 mark in conference play, and went unbeaten in their final six matches of the month. The senior netted three goals during October, and all three scoring strikes proved to be game-winners. Jennings scored goals in conference victories against Gonzaga, Portland, and LMU.
WCC Team Notes
Gonzaga Bulldogs (9-3-4 / 4-1-4 WCC)
- Gonzaga earned a 1-0 victory over San Francisco on Friday, and battled Saint Mary's to a scoreless draw at home on Sunday.
- John Reha's first goal of the season proved to be the game-winner in Friday's win over the Dons.
- Friday's win marked the 45th career victory in WCC play for Gonzaga Head Coach Einar Thorarinsson, moving him ahead of former Santa Clara coach Mitch Murray into sole possession of third place on the conference's all-time wins list.
- Vito Higgins collected five saves on the weekend, and posted two clean sheets to bring his season shutout total to six.
- The Bulldogs travel to Loyola Marymount (11/9) and San Diego (11/11) this weekend.
Loyola Marymount Lions (2-13-1 / 0-8-0 WCC)
- Loyola Marymount struggled on the road, suffering a 2-0 non-conference defeat at Oregon State on Friday before traveling to Santa Clara and falling to the Broncos by a 3-1 margin.
- Patrick Lane collected a career-high eight saves in Sunday's loss to the Broncos. The redshirt freshman has made 12 starts in the Lion net, and has collected 50 saves so far this season to rank fourth in the conference.
- Wilkie Johnson scored an unassisted goal in Sunday's loss at Santa Clara, moving the sophomore into a tie for the team lead with two scoring strikes on the season. Rafael Baca and Brad Stisser have also found the back of the net twice for the Lions.
- Loyola Marymount returns home this weekend and will look for its first conference win against No. 23 Gonzaga (11/9) and Portland (11/11).
Portland Pilots (7-4-5 / 4-1-4 WCC)
- Portland stretched its unbeaten streak to five games, and moved into a three-way tie for second place in the WCC standings after topping Saint Mary's in overtime, 1-0, and handing San Francisco a 3-0 defeat.
- Alex Elliott enjoyed an outstanding weekend, providing the game-winning goal in overtime on Friday before assisting on a pair of strikes on Sunday en route to being named to the Soccer America National Team of the Week. Elliott, who leads the Pilots with five goals, has also dished out a conference-leading nine assists on the year.
- Frankie Lopez scored twice in Sunday's win, marking the first career multiple-goal game for the freshman. Lopez is tied for second on the team with four scoring strikes on the season.
- Portland looks to continue its recent success in league action this weekend, as the Pilots travel to San Diego (11/9) and Loyola Marymount (11/11).
San Diego Toreros (8-7-1 / 5-2-1 WCC)
- San Diego suffered a 2-1 setback at Santa Clara on Friday, snapping a six-game unbeaten streak for the Toreros.
- Tannen Wels opened the scoring in the loss to the Broncos, netting a strike in the 4th minute on an assist from Colin Jennings. It marked the third goal of the season for Wels, and the third assist of the year for Jennings.
- Jennings was tabbed for WCC Player of the Month honors, as the senior tallied three game-winning goals for the Toreros during October.
- USD has gotten goals from 10 different players this year, including a team-high five from JT Howlan.
- San Diego hosts Portland (11/9) and No. 23 Gonzaga (11/11) in crucial matches this week.
San Francisco Dons (6-9-1 / 2-6-1 WCC)
- San Francisco suffered a pair of defeats in the Northwest, falling to then-No. 29 Gonzaga, 1-0, before dropping a 3-0 decision at Portland on Sunday.
- Six of San Francisco's nine losses have been by one goal, and Sunday's defeat marked the first loss by more than two goals for the Dons this season.
- Eric Conner collected nine saves on the weekend to bring his season save total to 56, which ranks third in the conference.
- The Dons enter the week ranked first in the WCC with 74 saves as a team.
- San Francisco looks to get back on track at home this weekend, welcoming No. 3 ranked Santa Clara (11/9) to Negoesco Stadium on Friday.
Santa Clara Broncos (11-1-4 / 6-0-2 WCC)
- Santa Clara enjoyed an outstanding weekend at home, extending its unbeaten streak to 13 straight games with a 2-1 win over San Diego and a 3-1 triumph over Loyola Marymount.
- Peter Lowry provided the heroics from the Bronco midfield, assisting on both SCU goals in Friday's win and opening the scoring with a penalty kick in Sunday's victory. The goal marked Lowry's conference-leading seventh scoring strike of the season.
- Scott Sweeney and Matt Marquess each tallied their first career goal in Sunday's win over the Lions. The two players became the 10th and 11th different Broncos to score a goal this season.
- The Broncos aim to move closer to their second straight conference title, traveling to San Francisco (11/9) before returning home to meet Saint Mary's (11/11) this weekend.
Games To Watch
Portland at San Diego - Friday, November 9 at 7:00 PM
Portland visits San Diego on Friday in a match between two of the three WCC teams that are tied for second place in the conference standings. The Pilots are on a five-game unbeaten run after posting shutouts over Saint Mary's and San Francisco last weekend, while the Toreros suffered a 2-1 setback against Santa Clara on Friday, snapping a six-game unbeaten run of their own.
Saint Mary's at #3 Santa Clara - Sunday, November 11 at 7:00 PM
Bay Area rivals Saint Mary's and Santa Clara lock horns for the second time this season on Sunday night, as the Gaels make the short trip to Buck Shaw Stadium to meet the first place Broncos. Santa Clara, who enters the week on a 13-game unbeaten run, has not lost a match in two months, while the Gaels will be looking to post a win in their lone contest of the week. Santa Clara took the first meeting between the two this year, upending the Gaels 2-0 in October.