Jan. 20, 2008
Honolulu, HI - The Saint Mary's men's tennis team bounced-back after a narrow loss to No. 19 Florida State on Thursday, defeating the University of Hawaii 4-3 on the Wahine's home court. The Gaels traveled to Honolulu for two matches, as they fell to No. 19 Florida State, 5-2, and defeated the host school Hawaii, 4-3.
In doubles action the Gaels' Joel Kusnierz and Marek Dvorak recorded their second win as a pair in the No. 1 position, defeating Hawaii's Sascha Heinemann and Andreas Weber, 8-3. Saint Mary's would go on to capture the doubles point, as Hawaii forfeited the No. 3 position match.
Saint Mary's recorded three wins in singles action, with freshman Lucas Tirelli and Andrea Zannoni each recording wins. Tirelli defeated Spence Mendoza of the Wahine, 6-3, 6-4, while Zannoni crushed Craig Faulk, 6-3, 6-1. Once again Hawaii was forced to forfeit a match, this time at the No. 6 position in singles, as the Gaels would record their first win of the 2008 season.
The Gaels record improves to 1-1 on the season and are back in action on Saturday, January 26, as they travel to Berkeley to face the California Golden Bears. The dual match will begin at 2:00 PM.
Match ResultsSt. Mary's def. Hawai'i, 4-3Doubles (St. Mary's wins doubles point)
1. Kusnierz/Dvorak (SMC) def. Heinemann/Weber (UH), 8-3
2. Fitch/Mendoza (UH) def Christner/Tirelli (SMC), 8-3
3. UH Forfeit
Singles (each match worth one team point)
1. Sascha Heinemann (UH) def. Joel Kusierz (SMC), 6-4, 6-7(4), 1-0(5)
2. Andreas Weber (UH) def. Marek Dvorak (SMC), 6-1, 6-1
3. Lucas Tirelli (SMC) def. Spence Mendoza (UH), 6-3, 6-4
4. Jeff Fitch (UH) def. Achim Christner (SMC), 6-4, 6-3
5. Andrea Zannoni (SMC) def. Craig Faulk (UH), 6-3, 6-1
6. UH Forfeit