Jan. 24, 2007
LOS ANGELES - The fourth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team spoiled San Diego's 2007 season opener on Wednesday, as the Bruins posted a 7-0 victory over the Toreros in a non-conference match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. UCLA, which improves to 2-0 on the season, is now 23-0 all-time against USD. Wednesday's match was similar to UCLA's season-opening victory over UC Irvine last week, as the Bruins cruised in doubles before dominating singles play with six straight-set wins.
After being tested early at court No. 1, fifth-ranked Benjamin Kohlloeffel found his rhythm in the second set, downing USD's Thomas Liversage, 6-4, 6-0. Kohlloeffel has now won his last nine matches in dual-match play dating back to last season.
Haythem Abid, Mathieu Dehaine, Philipp Gruendler, Jeremy Drean and Michael Look were all straight-set winners. Dehaine had the closest match of the day at court No. 3, as he got past Chris Coetzee, 7-6(5), 7-5.
Pos. Opponents Score
1. Gruendler/Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. Coetzee/Liversage (USD) 8-4
2. Abid/ Chris Surapol (UCLA) def. Mouly/Wolmarans (USD) 8-2
3. (18) Dehaine/Drean (UCLA) def. Levon Brown/Sekiguchi (USD) 8-1
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
SinglesPos. Opponents Score
1. (5) Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. Thomas Liversage (USD) 6-4, 6-0
2. Haythem Abid (UCLA) def. Jonas Mouly (USD) 6-3, 6-2
3. Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. Chris Coetzee (USD) 7-6(5), 7-5
4. Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Ryo Sekiguchi (USD) 6-1, 6-3
5. Jeremy Drean (UCLA) def. Charl Wolmarans (USD) 6-2, 7-6(6)
6. Michael Look (UCLA) def. Sammy Atri (USD) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 1, 5, 2, 3 --- Final Score: UCLA 7, San Diego 0