Jan. 26, 2008
(Los Angeles, CA) - The USD Toreros opened up their 2008 season in Los Angeles today with a match at No. 6 USC at the Marks Center. Although the 6th-ranked Trojans came out on top by the score of 5-2, the Pac-10 squad found themselves in a tough battle against the Toreros. For USD the match was highlighted by two huge wins in singles by senior Thomas Liversage and freshman Dean Jackson. Liversage, ranked #29 in the nation, downed 9th-ranked Robert Farah in the third set tiebreaker at 3-6, 6-1, 10-8. Jackson, ranked #63 in the nation, topped Kaes Van't Hof 6-2, 7-6 (4) at No. 2 singles. Junior Chris Coetzee played extremely well but came up short against #43 Gary Sacks at No. 3 singles, 6-2, 4-6, 10-8.
"We had two huge wins with Thomas and Dean winning at No. 1 and No. 2 singles," said interim head coach David Anderton. "For both of them to go into USC and come away with wins was a great beginning to our season. I'm very happy with the way we competed throughout our lineup, but especially at the top."
The Toreros did win one doubles match with the freshman tandem of Dean Jackson and Nils Schive winning at No. 3 over the USC duo of Poldma/Piotrowski, 8-3. USD will next host its home opener on Saturday, Feb. 2nd, against Fresno State at 12:30 p.m. at the USD West Courts.
#6 USC 5, #75 San Diego 2
(1) #2 Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Liversage/Coatzee (USD) - 8-3
(2) Sacks/Magdas (USC) def. Wolmarans/Munoz (USD) - 8-3
(3) Jackson/Schive (USD) def. Poldma/Piotrowski (USC) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point. Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
(1) #29 Thomas Liversage (USD) def. #9 Robert Farah (USC) - 3-6, 6-1, 10-8
(2) #63 Dean Jackson (USD) def. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) - 6-2, 7-6 (4)
(3) #43 Gary Sacks (USC) def. Chris Coetzee (USD) - 6-2, 4-6, 10-8
(4) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Charl Wolmarans (USD) - 6-2, 6-4*
(5) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Jose Manuel Munoz (USD) - 6-2, 6-2
(6) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Nils Schive (USD) - 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 5, 4*, 2, 1, 3