Jan. 27, 2007
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Gonzaga University men's tennis team was unable to earn its first win of the spring Saturday, falling 6-1 to West Coast Conference opponent University of Portland.
With the loss, the Bulldogs fall to 0-2, including 0-1 in WCC play. The win marked the first of the season for Portland, who is now 1-0 in both regular season and conference matches.
The Zags' lone point of the day was won by Zach Radetzky. Playing at the No. 6 position, Radetzky upended UP's Evan Schleining in three sets, 3-6, 6-3, 10-7. Marco Antonio Pineda forced three sets at the No. 5 position, but was unable to overtake Charlie Yemm, falling, 3-6, 6-3, 10-3. Bryce Cooper played No. 1 for GU but was defeated b y Alex Storm in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1. Playing at the No. 2 spot was Brett Womack. The senior fell 6-3, 6-1 to Filip Zivkovic. Rounding out singles play was Roman Dojcak at No. 3 and Cooper Fratt at No. 4. Dojcak fell to Colby Jager, 6-1, 6-2. Fratt fell to Kincaid, 6-1, 6-1.
In doubles play, Pineda and Charles Adams combined at the No. 2 position to edge out Portland's Scott Kennel and Strom, 8-7. Radetzky and Dojcak played at the No. 1 position, but were unable to defeat Zivkovvic and Jager, falling 8-5. At the No. 3 position, Cooper and Fratt fell to Kincaid and Schleining, 8-4.
The Bulldogs will round out play for the weekend Sunday when they play the University of Nevada at Eugene, Ore.
Portland 6, Gonzaga 1
1. STROM, Alex (POR) def. Cooper, Bryce (GON) 6-0, 6-1
2. ZIVKOVIC, Filip (POR) def. Womack, Brett (GON) 6-3, 6-1
3. JAGER, Colby (POR) def. Dojcak, Roman (GON) 6-1, 6-2
4. KINCAID, Joel (POR) def. Fratt, Cooper (GON) 6-1, 6-1
5. YEMM, Charlie (POR) def. ANTONIO PINEDA, M. (GON) 3-6, 6-3, 10-3
6. Radetzky, Zach (GON) def. SCHLEINING, Evan (POR) 3-6, 6-3, 10-7
1. ZIVKOVIC, Filip/JAGER, Colby (POR) def. RADETZKY, Zach/DOJCAK, Roman (GON) 8-5
2. ADAMS, Charles/ANTONIO PINEDA, M. (GON) def. KENNEL, Scott/STROM, Alex (POR) 8-7
3. KINCAID, Joel/SCHLEINING, Evan (POR) def. COOPER, Bryce/FRATT, Cooper (GON) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,3,2,4,5,6)