Jan. 28, 2007
EUGENE, Ore. - The Gonzaga University men's tennis team swept all three doubles matches Sunday, but it wasn't enough as the Bulldogs fell to the University of Nevada 6-1 in Eugene, Ore.
With the loss, the Zags fall to 0-3 overall on the season, while the Wildpack remain undefeated with a 3-0 record.
Gonzaga jumped out to an early lead, earning the doubles point to start the afternoon. Playing at the No. 1 position, Bretty Womack and Zach Radetzky teamed up to defeat Guillaume Tonelli and Eldar Dzhafarov, 8-7. Charles Adams and Marco Pineda earned their second win in as many days at the No. 2 position, dropping Nevada's Benjamin David and Laurent Garcin, 8-4. Rounding out the doubles sweep was Roman Dojcak and Bryce Cooper at the No. 3 position. The duo defeated Augstin Myard and Arzhang Derakhshani, 8-3.
Despite Gonzaga's double success, the Zags struggled in singles play falling at all six positions. Cooper Fratt and Pineda forced three sets at the No. 4 and No. 5 positions, respectively. Fratt fell to Dzhafarov, 3-6, 7-5, 6-3, while Pineda fell to Alex Daruty, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3. Playing at No. 1, Cooper was defeated by Tonelli, 6-2, 7-6. Womack fell at No. 2 to David, 6-2, 6-3. Dojack fell to Garcin at the No. 3 position, 6-3, 7-5 and Radetzky fell to Derakhshani in the No. 6 position, 6-4, 6-3.
The Zags will hit the courts again February 3, when they travel to Cheney, Wash. to face the University of Montana.
Nevada 6, Gonzaga 1
1. Brett Womack/Zach Radetzly def. Guillaume Tonelli/Eldar Dzhafarov, 8-7
2. Charles Adams/Marco Antonio Pineda def. Benjamin David/Laurent Garcin, 8-4
3. Roman Dojcak/Bryce Cooper def. Augustin Myard/Arzhang Derakhshani, 8-3
1. Guillaume Tonelli def. Bryce Cooper 6-2, 7-6
2. Benajmin David def. Brett Womack 6-2, 6-3
3. Laruent Garcin def. Roman Dojcak 6-3, 7-5
4. Eldar Dzhafarov def. Cooper Fratt 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
5. Alex Daruty def. Marco Antonio Pineda 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
6. Arzhang Derakhshani def. Zach Radetzky 6-4, 6-3