Feb. 4, 2007
CHENEY, Wash. - - The Gonzaga University men's tennis team earned its second victory in as many days Sunday with a 7-0 win over UC Davis in Cheney, Wash.
With the win, the Zags improve to 2-3 for the season, while the Aggies fall to 0-5 on the year.
Gonzaga opened dominating singles play, earning the win at all six positions. Bryce Cooper earned the victory in the No. 1 spot with a three-set victory over Michael Chin (6-4, 5-7, 6-2). Earning the win at the No. 2 position was Brett Womack. Womack defeated the Aggies' Jayce Fitch in straight sets, 7-5, 6-3. Roman Dojcak took the point at the No. 3 position with a three-set victory over Henri Landes (7-5, 4-6, 7-6). Cooper Fratt, playing at the No. 4 position, defeated Justin Garcia in two sets (6-4, 6-3). Marco Antonio Pineda edged out Daniel Elefant in the No. 5 position to take the three-set victory (6-4, 5-7, 11-9). Rounding out singles play was Zack Radetzky, earning the win at No. 6 over Michael Reiser (6-4, 7-5).
In doubles play, the Bulldogs took two-of-three matches to earn the point. Womack and Logan Napolsky defeated nationally-ranked No. 44 Fitch and Elefant 9-8 (7-3), in the No. 1 position. Cooper and Dojcak earned the point for GU with a 8-4 win at the No. 3 position over Landes and Kevin Liang. Pineda and Charles Adams were unable to complete the Gonzaga doubles sweep, falling 8-3 to Casey McMakin and Reiser in the No. 2 position.
The Bulldogs will return to action Feb. 16 when they travel to West Coast Conference for Santa Clara University.
GONZAGA 7, UC DAVIS 0
1. Bryce Cooper def. Michael Chin - 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
2. Brett Womack def. Jayce Fitch - 7-5, 6-3
3. Roman Dojcak def. Henri Landes - 7-5, 4-6, 7-6
4. Cooper Fratt def. Justin Garcia - 6-4, 6-3
5. Marco Antonio Pineda def. Daniel Elefant - 6-4, 5-1, 11-9
6. Zack Radetzky def. Michael Reiser - 6-4, 7-5
1. Womack/Logan Napolsky def. No. 44 Fitch/Elefant - 9-8 (7-3)
2. Casey McMakin/Reiser def. Pineda/Adams - 8-3
3. Cooper/Dojcak def. Landes/Kevin Liang - 8-4