Feb. 17, 2007
MORAGA, Calif - - Roman Dojcak and Zack Radetzky each posted victories in singles play, but it wasn't enough as the Gonzaga University men's tennis team fell to No. 62 Saint Mary's College 5-1 in Moraga, Calif.
The Zags fell to 1-5 with the loss, including 0-3 in West Coast Conference play, while the Gaels improved to 3-4 overall.
Dojack earned a singles point, playing in the No. 3 postion, by defeating Andrea Zannoni (6-3, 7-6 (8-6)). Radetzky posted GU's second point, posting a win at the No. 6 position over Dan Anderson (7-5, 9-1). In the No. 1 p osition, Bryce Cooper fell to Joel Kusnierz (6-2, 6-1). Playing at No. 2 Andre Sion defeated Brett Womack (6-3, 6-4). Cooper Fratt, in the No.4 spot, fell to Adam Fauvre (6-2, 7-5). Rounding out singles action, Marco Antonio Pineda was defeated by Achim Christner (6-1, 6-2).
In doubles play, Gonzaga earned a victory in the No. 3 spot when Cooper and Dojcak combined to defeat Sion and Zannonni 8-5. At the No. 1 position Logan Napolsky and Womack were up-ended by Alp Ozpinar by Fauvre 8-3. Pineda and Radetzky rounded out doubles play with a 8-3 loss to Kusnierz and Christner.
The Zags will return to action tomorrow when they face WCC opponent the Unviersity of San Francisco at 1:30 p.m.
#62 Saint Mary's (CA) 5, Gonzaga 2
Feb 17, 2007 at Moraga, CA
1. Joel Kusnierz (SMC) def. Bryce Cooper (GU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Andre Sion (SMC) def. Brett Womack (GU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Roman Dojcak (GU) def. Andrea Zannoni (SMC) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Adam Fauvre (SMC) def. Cooper Fratt (GU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Achim Christner (SMC) def. Marco Antonio Pineda (GU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Zack Radetzky (GU) def. Dan Anderson (SMC) 7-5, 9-1
1. Alp Ozpinar/Adam Fauvre (SMC) def. Logan Napolsky/Brett Womack (GU) 8-3
2. Joel Kusnierz/Achim Christner (SMC) def. Marco Antonio Pineda/Zack Radetzky (GU) 8-3
3. Bryce Cooper/Roman Dojcak (GU) def. Andre Sion/Andrea Zannoni (SMC) 8-5