Feb. 18, 2006
Malibu, Calif. - The fourth-seeded Pepperdine men's tennis team advanced to the semifinals of the USTA/ITA National Men's Team National Indoor Championships after defeating fifth-seeded Mississippi 4-2 on Saturday morning at the Nordstrom Tennis Center on the University of Washington's campus in Seattle.
The Waves will face the winner of the Florida/Duke match on Sunday at 11 a.m. at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Gators are seeded first in the tournament, while the Blue Devils are seeded ninth.
The semifinal appearance marks the Waves' fifth time overall and first since 1986.
In a close doubles match, Pepperdine captured the point to put the Waves ahead, 1-0. Junior Richard Johnson and freshman Omar Altmann came back from a deficit to defeat Juan Pablo Di Cesare and Robbye Poole 8-5. No. 40 Erling Tveit and Eric Claesson were able to tie Scott Doerner and Andre Begemann, but the Waves pulled through in the tiebreaker to defeat the Rebel duo.
Doerner kept up the rhythm in singles as he easily put away No. 26 Tveit 6-3, 6-2, while fellow senior teammate Ivor Lovrak handed No. 83 Bram ten Berge a 6-2, 6-2 defeat putting the Waves up 3-0. The Rebels were not out of the running just yet as they made a comeback after defeating Richard Johnson at court three and Omar Altmann at court six. As the match at court five went to the third set, Pepperdine looked to court two where senior Pedro Rico was closing in on a win in straight sets. For the third time this season, Rico came through for the Waves defeating No. 22 Eric Claesson 6-4, 7-6 clinching the match to advance the Waves to the semifinals.
Pepperdine 4, Mississippi 2
1. Doerner/Begemann (PEP) def. No. 40 Tveit/Claesson (MIS) 9-8
2. No. 31 Rico/Lovrak (PEP) vs. ten Berge/Klaeson (MIS) DNF
3. Johnson/Altmann (PEP) def. Di Cesare/Poole (MIS) 8-5
1. Scott Doerner (PEP) def. No. 26 Erling Tveit (MIS) 6-3, 6-2
2. Pedro Rico (PEP) def. No. 22 Eric Claesson (MIS) 6-4, 7-6
3. Ivor Lovrak (PEP) def. Bram ten Berge (MIS) 6-2, 6-2
4. Juan Pablo Di Cesare (MIS) def. Richard Johnson (PEP) 6-3, 6-4
5. Andre Begemann (PEP) vs. Robbye Poole (MIS) 6-7, 6-4, DNF
6. Jakob Klaeson (MIS) def. Omar Altmann (PEP) 6-4, 7-6