Feb. 28, 2007
MALIBU, Calif. - After battling to win the doubles point, the No. 8 Pepperdine men's tennis team ultimately suffered a 6-1 setback to fifth-ranked UCLA on Wednesday afternoon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Waves' loss marked their fifth to a Top 5 opponent and fourth since Feb. 17 at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships.
Pepperdine (7-6) took the first doubles victory at court No. 3 where Bassam Beidas and James Lemke put away Jeremy Drean and Michael Look 8-4. UCLA responded with a win at court one as Philip Gruendler and Benjamin Kohlloeffel defeated Omar Altmann and Richard Johnson 8-2. All eyes turned to court No. 2 where the Wave duo of Andre Begemann and Mahmoud Kamel battled Haythem Abid and Mathieu Dehaine. In the end, Pepperdine came out on top taking 1-0 lead into singles action.
UCLA (9-2) came blazing back and won all six singles matches to avenge last year's two losses to the Waves. At No. 3, Gruendler put away Johnson 6-1, 6-2, while Drean followed with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Kamel at No. 6. In a rematch of October's ITA Regional (West) quarterfinal match, fifth-ranked Kohlloeffel came up with the 6-3, 6-3 victory over No. 15 Begemann. Begemann won the first meeting, upsetting top-seeded and then-No. 1 Kohlloeffel in straight sets.
Abid defeated Beidas 6-4, 6-3 to clinch the match for the Bruins. Down one set, both Lemke and Altmann came back to win the second set, but both Waves lost in the super-breaker.
The Waves look to get back to their winning ways when they return to Malibu and open a five-match homestand on March 8 against UC Santa Barbara.
No. 5 UCLA 6, No. 14 Pepperdine 1
1. Gruendler/Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. (28) Altmann/Johnson (Pepp) 8-2
2. Begemann/Kamel (Pepp) def. Abid/Dehaine (UCLA) 8-6
3. Beidas/Lemke (Pepp) def. Drean/Look (UCLA) 8-4
1. (5) Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. (15) Andre Begemann (Pepp) 6-3, 6-3
2. Haythem Abid (UCLA) def. Bassam Beidas (Pepp) 6-4, 6-3
3. Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Richard Johnson (Pepp) 6-1, 6-2
4. Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. James Lemke (Pepp) 6-3, 6-7(5), (10-6)
5. Michael Look (UCLA) def. Omar Altmann (Pepp) 6-3, 4-6, (10-8)
6. Jeremy Drean (UCLA) def. Mahmoud Kamel (Pepp) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 1, 2, 4,