March 4, 2006
Santa Clara, Calif. - The winning streak is over. Riding a 16-match winning streak that carried over from the 2005 season, the Santa Clara men's tennis team was defeated this afternoon by Cal Poly 6-1 at the Degheri Tennis Center. Tommy Hicks was the only Bronco to register a point, as he won his singles match at the No. 4 spot.
"Cal Poly played well today and took advantage of a flat Bronco team. Certainly this is disappointing as we did not compete well as a team," said head coach George Husack. "We'll see how the team responds tomorrow against Sacramento State."
In doubles action, the Mustangs swept all three matches to garner the 1-0 advantage in the match heading into singles play. Cal Poly made it 3-0 after John Nguyen beat Kevin McQuaid 6-4, 6-4 at the No. 2 spot and Darryn Young took out Blane Shields 7-6, 6-2 at the No. 6 position. Hicks cut into the deficit with his 7-6, 6-4 triumph over Brett Van Linge on Court 4, though Matt Baca clinched the dual match with his 6-4, 7-6 win over Jan Macek at the first position. A.J. Kerin and Brian Brogan dropped their respective singles matches in three sets to account for the final margin.
Santa Clara drops its record to 6-7 on the year and returns to action tomorrow against Sacramento State at the Degheri Tennis Center. Game time is set for noon.
Cal Poly 6, Santa Clara 1
Doubles (Cal Poly wins the doubles point)
1. John Nguyen/Brett Van Linge (CP) def. Brian Brogan/JanMacek (SCU), 8-3
2. Kyle Roybal/Darryn Young (CP) def. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU), 9-8(1)
3. Matt Baca/Fred Dewitte (CP) def. Chris Iwamura/A.J. Kerin (SCU), 8-6
1. Matt Baca (CP) def. Jan Macek (SCU), 6-4, 7-6 (5)
2. John Nguyen (CP) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Fred Dewitte (CP) def. Brian Brogan (SCU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Brett Van Linge (CP), 7-6, 6-4
5. Kyle Roybal (CP) def. A.J. Kerin (SCU), 7-6, 6-7, 1-0(3)
6. Darryn Young def. Blane Shields (SCU), 7-6, 6-2