March 15, 2007
Malibu, Calif. - Spurred on by a victory in doubles, the No. 24 Pepperdine men's tennis team carried its momentum into singles, winning four of the six matches, to register a 5-2 win over No. 13 Texas Thursday afternoon at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center and extend its homecourt winning streak to 52 matches.
The win was the fourth straight for Waves (11-6), who posted their second straight victory over the Longhorns (8-5) dating back to last year's 4-1 NCAA Championships semi-final win.
After Richard Johnson and Omar Altmann (47) lost to Dimitar Kutrovsky and Josh Zavala (48) at No. 1 doubles, the No. 2 doubles tandem of Andre Begemann and Mahmoud Kamel registered an 8-6 win over Miguel Reyes Verela and Milan Mihailovic setting the stage for a dramatic finish at No. 3 doubles.
Beidas got Pepperdine off to a good start in singles, registering a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Kutrovsky at No. 2 singles. After Johnson fell 6-4, 6-4 at No. 4 to Diaz Barriga, Begemann captured a win at No. 1, defeating Reyes Varela, 6-3-7-5.
No. 6 Kamel clinched the match for the Waves as he defeated Rook Schellenberg, 7-5, 7-5.
Lemke also was victorious for Pepperdine as he topped Mihailovic, 7-5, 6-4, in the No. 3 position.
The Waves are next in action on Tuesday when they host No. 2 Ohio State at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center beginning at 1 p.m.
No. 24 Pepperdine 5, No. 13 Texas 2
1. No. 48 Dimitar Kutrovsky/Josh Zavala (UT) def. No. 47 Omar Altmann/Richard Johnson (PEP), 8-4
2. Andre Begemann/Mahmoud Kamel (PEP) def. Miguel Reyes Varela/Milan Mihailovic (UT), 8-6
3. Bassam Beidas/James Lemke (PEP) def. Bernhard Deussner/Luis Diaz Barriga (UT), 9-8
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Andre Begamann (PEP) def. Miguel Diaz Barriga (UT), 6-3, 7-5
2. Bassam Beidas (PEP) def. Dimitar Kutrovsky (UT), 6-1, 6-2
3. James Lemke (PEP) def. Milan Mihailovic (UT), 7-5, 6-4
4. Luis Diaz Barriga (UT) def. Richard Johnson (PEP), 6-4, 6-4
5. Josh Zavala (UT) def. Omar Altmann (PEP), 6-4, 3-6, 6-26. Mahmoud Kamel (PEP) def. Rook Schellenberg (UT), 7-5, 7-5
Order of finish: 2, 4, 1, 6, 3, 5
Records: No. 24 Pepperdine (11-6). No. 13 Texas (8-5).