March 16, 2006
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The 35th ranked USD men's tennis team defeated the Utah Utes Thursday by a score of 6-1. With the win, San Diego is now 8-4 on the season while Utah is now 7-3 overall.
In doubles action, San Diego took a victory by default at the No. 3 spot while the Utes claimed victories at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles.
In singles, the Toreros made a clean sweep as they took wins in all six spots. Pierrick Ysern, who is currently ranked 45th in the nation, defeated Utah's Zach Ganger 6-2, 6-3 to snap a two-match losing streak. Oscar Plotnik dropped the first set of his No. 2 singles match by a score of 6-1 but came back to claim the second set 7-6. The match was called shortly thereafter in favor of Plotnik. USD's Thomas Liversage, Ryo Sekiguchi, and Jonas Mouly all saw victory at the No. 3, 4, and 5 spots, respectively while Chris Coetzee won at No. 6 singles by default.
The Toreros take on the Rice University Owls Friday at the West Tennis Courts at 9:30 a.m. The match was originally scheduled for Saturday but impending rain in the San Diego area forced the match to be pushed forward.
USD 6 Utah 1
1) Ganger/Coutts (Utah) def. Ysern/Liversage (USD) 8-4
2) Grzyb/Scott (Utah) def. Plotnik/Mouly (USD) 9-8
3) Sekiguchi/Coetzee (USD) - win by default
1) Pierrick Ysern (USD) def. Zach Ganger (Utah) 6-2, 6-3
2) Oscar Plotnik (USD) def. Tomasz Grzyb (Utah), 1-6, 7-6, (1-0)
3) Thomas Liversage (USD) def. Nick Coutts (Utah) 7-5, 6-4
4) Ryo Sekiguchi (USD) def. Ryan Scott (Utah) 6-1, 6-3
5) Jonas Mouly (USD) def. Wes Hancock (Utah) 6-1, 6-0
6) Chris Coetzee (USD) - win by default