March 24, 2007
(San Diego, CA) - The USD men's tennis team won its fifth straight match with today's hard-fought 6-1 victory over No. 64 Princeton. The Toreros downed the Tigers by the score of 6-1. Like yesterday's win over Yale, USD dropped the doubles point, but came back to sweep all six singles matches. At No. 1 singles, Thomas Liversage won his ninth straight match with a thrilling 7-6, 7-6 (13-11) win over Peter Capkovic. Chris Coetzee won his fifth straight match with a solid 7-6, 6-2 win over Sratha Saenguswarn at No. 2. Jonas Mouly dealt George Carpeni a 6-3, 6-2 setback at No. 3. Ryo Sekiguchi won his straight second three-setter with today's 7-5, 2-6, 6-4 win over Alex Vukovic at No. 4. Charl Wolmarans was a 7-6, 6-0 winner over Charlie Brosens at No. 5. Matt Ozurovich won his 7th straight match, and overcame cramps to deal Jonathan Leslie a 6-2, 7-5 defeat that clinched the match for USD. San Diego is off until April 3rd when they head to Stanford for a 1:30 pm match.
SAN DIEGO 6, Princeton 1
1. Liversage/Coetzee (USD) df. Carpeni/Mabrey; 8-0
2. Vukovic/Capkovic (PU) df. Mouly/Wolmarans; 8-4
3. Saengsuwarn/Gober (PU) df. Ozurovich/Kourie (USD); 9-8 (3)
Princeton wins doubles point
1. #47 Thomas Liversage (USD) df. Peter Capkovic; 7-6, 7-6 (13-11)
2. Chris Coettzee (USD) df. Sratha Saengsuwarn; 7-6, 6-2
3. Jonas Mouly (USD) df. George Carpeni; 6-3, 6-2
4. Ryo Sekiguchi (USD) df. Alex Vukovic; 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
5. Charl Wolmarans (USD) df. Charlie Brosens; 7-6, 6-0
6. Matt Ozurovich (USD) df. Jonathan Leslie; 6-2, 7-5
Records: USD (9-7), Princeton (7-4)
Notable USD has won five straight matches.