March 24, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii - The No. 15 Pepperdine men' tennis team completed play 2-0 at the Aloha Invitational at University of Hawaii Tennis Complex after defeating No. 38 California, 4-1, Saturday afternoon. The win won their sixth straight match to improve to 13-6.
The Golden Bears had their six-match winning streak snapped and dropped to 9-5.
Pepperdine grabbed the doubles point with two 8-5 victories. At the No. 2 spot, Andre Begemann and Mahmoud Kamel held off Cal's Geoff Chizever and Eolin Heavey, and the No. 3 tandem of Bassam Beidas and James Lemke defeated the Bears' duo of Pierre Mouillon and Daniel Sebescen.
At No. 6 singles, Ken Nakahara defeated Kamel for Cal's only point of the match. The score was not available.
The Waves posted straight set victories at the Nos. 1, 2 and 3 singles positions. At No. 3 singles, Heavey pushed the second set to a tie breaker before falling, 2-6, 6-7 (4), to Lemke. The teams didn't complete the No. 4 and No. 5 singles matches, as the final team outcome had already been determined.
Pepperdine returns home on Friday, March 30 and will put its 52-match home winning streak on the line when it hosts Louisville at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center beginning at 11 a.m.
No. 15 Pepperdine 4, No. 38 California 1
1. Johnson/Altmann (PEP) vs. Browne/Pettit (CAL), DNF
2. Begemann/Kamel (PEP) def. Chizever/Heavey (CAL), 8-5
3. Beidas/Lemke (PEP) def. Mouillon/Sebescen (CAL), 8-5
1. Andre Begemann (PEP) def. Pierre Mouillon (CAL), 6-3, 6-2
2. Bassam Beidas (PEP) def. Tyler Browne (CAL), 6-4, 6-4
3. James Lemke (PEP) def. Eolin Heavey (CAL), 6-2, 7-6(4)
4. Richard Johnson (PEP) vs. Daniel Sebescen (CAL), DNF
5. Omar Altmann (PEP) vs. Kallim Stewart (CAL), DNF
6. Ken Nakahara (CAL) def. Mahmoud Kamel (PEP)