March 25, 2006
Salt Lake City, UT - Entering Friday's match as winners of seven of their last eight, Loyola Marymount men's tennis dropped a tough 7-0 contest at Utah. The match was the first of a three-match Utah road swing for the Lions (8-8), who had just completed a nine-match homestand.
But that momentum was not enough for the Lions in the singles competition. Junior Matt Phillips came the closest, pushing Utah's Jason Yap to a third-set tiebreaker.
Senior Mike Wojnarowicz also pushed his match to three sets at the No. 2 spot.
The Lions will look to rebound Saturday at Utah State and Sunday at Weber State.
Utah 7, Loyola Marymount 0
1. Tomasz Grzyb (Utah) def. Nico Terrien (LMU); 6-4, 6-2
2. Zach Ganger (Utah) def. Mike Wojnarowicz (LMU); 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
3. Nick Coutts (Utah) def. Reyniere Roxas (LMU); 6-1, 6-2
4. Wes Hancock (Utah) def. Linas Cicenas (LMU); 6-1, 6-1
5. Jason Yap (Utah) def. Matt Phillips (LMU); 3-6, 7-6 (10-5)
6. Ryan Scott (Utah) def. Carlos Malet (LMU); 6-4, 6-3
1. Nick Coutts/ Zach Ganger (Utah) def. Mike Wojnarowicz/ Linas Cicenas (LMU); 8-1
2. Tomasz Grzyb/ Jason Yap (Utah) def. Carlos Malet/ Matt Phillips (LMU); 8-3
3. Nico Terrien/ Michael Chan (LMU) def. Dan Mascall/ Wes Hancock (Utah); 8-5