March 26, 2006
Santa Clara, Calif. - After losing a tough contest to No. 25 Tulsa yesterday afternoon, Santa Clara bounced back this afternoon with a dominating 7-0 victory against visiting Eastern Washington at the Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos won every doubles and singles match and took five of six singles contests in straight sets.
"It was a good match for us to rebound after yesterday's loss to Tulsa, and I'm proud of how our guys came back today," said head coach George Husack.
Tommy Hicks and Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong got the afternoon off to a great start, with their 8-4 triumph over Kyle Cruzat and Art Karas at the No. 3 spot, followed by Brian Brogan and Jan Macek's 8-4 victory over Pannhara Mam and Kyle Schraeder at the No. 1 spot. Chris Iwamura and A.J. Kerin completed the sweep with their 8-6 win over Johnathon Davis and Patrick Millican on Court 2.
In singles play, Hirakawa-Wong was first off the court with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Millican at the No. 5 spot and Brogan added to Santa Clara's point total after beating Schraeder 6-4, 6-0 on Court 2. Kerin clinched the match with a 6-0, 6-2 drubbing of Brian Garfield at the No. 4 position. Santa Clara received wins from Hicks, Iwamura, and Macek to account for the final margin.
Santa Clara 7, Eastern Washington 0
Doubles (Santa Clara wins the doubles point)
1. Brian Brogan/Jan Macek (SCU) def. Pannhara Mam/Kyle Schraeder (EWU), 8-5
2. Chris Iwamura/A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Johnathon Davis/Patrick Millican (EWU), 8-6
3. Tommy Hicks/Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong (SCU) def. Kyle Cruzat/Art Karas (EWU), 8-4
1. Jan Macek (SCU) def. Pannhara Mam (EWU), 7-6 (6), 6-4
2. Brian Brogan (SCU) def. Kyle Schraeder (EWU), 6-4, 6-0
3. Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Johnathon Davis (EWU), 6-4, 6-2
4. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Brian Garfield (EWU), 6-0, 6-2
5. Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong (SCU) def. Patrick Millican (EWU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Chris Iwamura (SCU) def. Kyle Cruzat (EWU), 6-3, 6-7 (5), 1-0 (6)