March 28, 2007
BOISE, Idaho - - Marco Antonio Pineda and Brett Womack each earned singles victories Thursday as the Gonzaga University men's tennis team fell in a pair of matches during the first day of the Boise State University Red Lion Spring Break Tournament in Boise, Idaho. In the opening round, the Bulldogs fell to No. 19 Boise State University 5-1 before dropping a 5-1 decision to UC Santa Cruz.
With the losses, Gonzaga drops to 6-12 overall, while Boise State improves to 18-5 and UCSC improves to 11-6 for the season.
In the opening round, Pineda posted his third singles victory in as many matches with a three-set victory over the Bronco's Stanley Sarapanich at the No. 4 position. Pineda dropped the first set 3-6 before coming back to defeat Sarapanich 6-3, 6-4 in the second and third sets.
Womack earned his victory in the second round with a straight-set victory over the Banana Slugs' Jeffery Fong. Womack defeated Fong 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 3 position. Bryce Cooper forced three sets at the No. 1 spot against UCSC but was unable to rally against Matt Seeberger, falling 6-3, 6-7 (10-12), 6-4.
Due to weather in the Boise area, all of the matches were forced to go indoors which caused time restraints that prohibited doubles action in the first round. In the second round, the Bulldogs dropped all three doubles matches to UC Santa Cruz.
The Zags will continue participating in the four-day event Friday when they face Weber State University as part of the consolation bracket. The match is scheduled for 9 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
1. Piotr Dilaj (BSU) def. Bryce Cooper (GU) 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 6-4
2. Blake Boswell (BSU) def. Roman Dojcak (GU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Eric Roberson (BSU) def. Brett Womack (GU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
4. Marco A. Pineda (GU) def.
5. Brent Werbeck (BSU) def. Cooper Fratt (GU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Jamaal Hepburn (BSU) def. Charles Adams (GU) 6-3, 6-0
DOUBLES COMPETITION (did not play)
1. Zack Radetzky/Brett Womack (GU) vs. Blake Boswell/Eric Roberson (BSU) no result
2. Charles Adams/Marco A. Pineda (GU) vs. Stanley Sarapanich/Clancy Shields (BSU) no result
3. Bryce Cooper/Roman Dojcak (GU) vs. Jamaal Hepburn/Brent Werbeck (BSU) no result
Gonzaga record: 6-11
Order of fi nish: Doubles (DNP); Singles (5,2,6,4,3,1)
First round of the Boise State Red Lion Spring Break Tournament, match played at
1. Matt Seeberger (UCSC) def. Bryce Cooper (GU) 6-3, 6-7 (10-12), 6-4
2. Jared Kamel (UCSC) def. Roman Dojcak (GU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Brett Womack (GU) def. Jeffrey Fong (UCSC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Max Ortiz (UCSC) def. Marco A. Pineda (GU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Bryan Pybas (UCSC) def. Zack Radetzky (GU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Alexander Villalobos (UCSC) def. Charles Adams (GU) 6-4, unfi nished
1. Matt Seeberger/Max Ortiz (UCSC) def. Zack Radetzky/Brett Womack (GU) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Bryan Pybas/Julian Sunn (UCSC) def. Charles Adams/Marco A. Pineda (GU) 8-5
3. Mark Vartebedian/Jared Kamel (UCSC) def. Roman Dojcak/Bryce Cooper (GU) 8-6
UC Santa Cruz record: 11-6
Gonzaga record: 6-12
Second round of Boise State Red Lion Spring Break Tournament (consolation bracket), match played at Crane Creek Country Club.