March 30, 2007
BOISE, Idaho - -
Roman Dojcak, Brett Womack and Marco Antonio Pineda all earned singles victories Friday as the Gonzaga University men's tennis team defeated Weber State University 4-3 during the third day of the Boise State Red Lion Spring Training Tournament in Boise.
With the win, Gonzaga improves to 5-12, while Weber State drops to 7-12.
Dojcak, Womack and Pineda all earned points for the Bulldogs, winning in straight sets. Dojcak downed Mario Schnabl at the No. 2 position (6-1, 6-1). Womack earned his second victory in as many matches with a 6-0, 6-4 defeat of Travis Covington at No. 3, while Pineda earned a No. 4 victory over Dave Hintze (6-4, 6-2). Bryce Cooper, Cooper Fratt and Zack Radetzky all fell for the Zags in their respective singles matches.
The Zags sealed the victory in doubles play, taking two of three matches for Weber State. At No. 2 doubles, Cooper and Dojcak downed Fabio Mancarella and Hintze 8-4, while a No. 3 victory by Pineda and Charles Adams over Quinn Allred and Cole Patterson (8-6) sealed the match victory for Gonzaga.
The Bulldogs will return to the courts Saturday, as the continue play in the consolation bracket at the Boise State Red Lion Spring Training Tournament.
1. Fabio Mancarella (WEBER) def. Bryce Cooper (GU), 6-4, 6-2
2. Roman Dojcak (GU) def. Mario Schnabl (WEBER), 6-1, 6-1
3. Brett Womack (GU) def. Travis Covington (WEBER), 6-0, 6-4
4. Marco Pineda (GU) def. Dave Hintze (WEBER), 6-4, 6-2
6. Chris Williams (WEBER) def. Zac Radetzky (GU), 7-6 (6), 6-7 (8), 6-3
1. Mario Schnabl/Travis
2. Bryce Cooper/Roman Dojcak (GU) def. Fabio Mancarella/Dave Hintze (WEBER), 8-4
3. Marco Pineda/Charles Adams (GU) def. Quinn Allred/Cole