April 3, 2007
(Stanford, CA) - Stanford freshman Richard Wire won a thrilling three-set match over junior Thomas Liversage of USD to give Stanford a 4-3 win over the Toreros in a non-conference match at the Taube Tennis Center. Wire won the tie-breaker 7-4 in the third set to beat Liversage 7-6, 5-7, 7-6. The loss snapped Liversage's 8-match win streak, and USD's 5-match team winning streak. The Toreros own an overall mark of 9-8.
Stanford swept all three doubles matches and took a 1-0 leading heading into singles. Blake Muller and Matt Bruch, ranked No. 26 in the nation, won their match at No. 1 doubles as they defeated the Torero duo of Thomas Liversage and Chris Coetzee, 8-5. Richard Wire and Paul Morrissey beat Jonas Mouly and Levon Brown, 8-3, at No. 2 doubles and Eric McKean and Kevin Kaiser won at No. 3 doubles by beating Charl Wolmarans and Matt Ozurovich, 8-5.
USD tied the match at 3-3 by winning three of the first five singles matches, setting up the deciding match at No. 1. USD's singles wins were turned in by Chris Coetzee at No. 2, a 6-3, 6-2 winner over Eric McKean; Charl Wolmarans at No. 5, a 6-1, 6-0 winner over Jeff Zeller; and Matt Ozurovich at No. 6, a 6-3, 6-2 winner over Paul Morrissey.
USD continues its four-match road swing with a April 5th match at Fresno State.
Non-Conference: Stanford 4, San Diego 3
Taube Tennis Center
Doubles(Stanford wins doubles point)
1. Bruch/Blake Muller (S) df. Liversage/Coetzee (USD), 8-5
2. Wire/Morrissey (S) df. Mouly/Brown (USD), 8-3
3. McKean/Kaiser (S) df. Wolmarans/Ozurovich (USD), 8-5
Singles1. #110 Richard Wire (S) #47 Thomas Liversage (USD), 7-6, 5-7, 7-6
2. Chris Coetzee (USD) d. Eric McKean (S) 6-3, 6-2
3. Blake Muller (S) Jonas Mouly (USD), 7-5, 6-3
4. Kevin Kaiser (S) Ryo Sekiguchi (USD), 6-3, 6-4
5. Charl Wolmarans (USD) d. Jeff Zeller (S), 6-1, 6-0
6. Matt Ozurovich (USD) d. Paul Morrissey (S), 6-3, 6-2
Records: Stanford (5-11), San Diego (9-8)