April 9, 2006
Davis, Calif. - In match two of a three-match road swing, Loyola Marymount men's tennis defeated UC Davis (6-12) 6-1. The Lions (12-10) won two out of three doubles matches to claim the first point of the day before winning five of six singles matches Saturday at the Marva Welch Tennis Center.
The Lions posted doubles victories at No. 1 and No. 3 to take a 1-0 lead.
In singles, only one match finished in straight sets as Mike Wojnarowicz defeated Michael Chin, 7-5, 6-1, at No. 2. The lone point for the Aggies was secured by Henri Landes as he defeated Linas Cicenas, 7-6, 1-6, 7-5, at No. 4. The win was Landes' sixth straight.
The remaining four matches all went to the Lions in three sets. Three of those were comeback victories as Matt Phillips defeated Casey McMakin, 3-6, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 5, and Mike Chan rallied at No. 6 to defeat Kyle McMakin, 1-6, 6-4, 6-4. Also, it was Nico Terrien posting a 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 win at No. 1 over UCD's Jayce Fitch.
LMU continues its Nor-Cal road swing with a West Coast Conference match-up at Saint Mary's Monday.
Loyola Marymount 6, UC Davis 1
1. Nico Terrien (LMU) d. Jayce Fitch (UCD), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
2. Mike Wojnarowicz (LMU) d. Michael Chin (UCD), 7-5, 6-1.
3. Reyniere Roxas (LMU) d. Justin Garcia (UCD), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.
4. Henri Landes (UCD) d. Linas Cicenas (LMU), 7-6, 1-6, 7-5.
5. Matt Phillips (LMU) d. Casey McMakin (UCD), 3-6, 6-2, 6-4.
6. Michael Chan (LMU) d. Kyle McMakin (UCD) , 1-6, 6-4, 6-4.
1. Cicenas/Wojnarowicz (LMU) d. Chin/Garcia (UCD), 8-5.
2 Jordan Combs /Fitch (UCD) vs Chan/Terrien (LMU), 8-5.
3. Carlos Malet/Phillips (LMU) d. C. McMakin/K. McMakjin (UCD), 8-1.