April 9, 2006
Boise, Ida. - The Santa Clara men's tennis team salvaged a difficult weekend Sunday afternoon with a 5-1 victory over the University of Idaho. The match was played at a neutral site, on the campus of Boise State University. Brian Brogan clinched the match for a team-leading fourth time this season.
Santa Clara improves its record to 11-12 on the year and will return to action next Thursday when it hosts Sacramento State at the Degheri Tennis Center. Game time is slated for 3:30 p.m.
Santa Clara dominated Idaho right off the bat, as all SCU three doubles teams beat their opponents by identical scores of 8-2 to take a 1-0 lead heading into singles action. Tommy Hicks was the first off the court with his easy 6-0, 6-0 victory over Ned Hayley at the No. 5 spot, while Bobby Rasmussen took out Paulo Mirando 6-1, 6-1 on Court 4. Brogan was able to seal the deal for his team with an easy 6-2, 6-2 victory over Anthony Karlovic at the No. 2 position. Jan Macek won his match at the No. 1 spot to add to the Broncos' total, while Kevin McQuaid dropped his singles match in a tight three sets to account for Idaho's lone point. A.J. Kerin was leading Joe Trudel 6-1, 1-0 on Court 6 when the match was halted.
Santa Clara 5, Idaho 1
Doubles (Santa Clara wins the doubles point)
1. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU) def. John Hieb/Anthony Karlovic (ID), 8-2
2. Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Tim Huynh/Paulo Mirando (ID), 8-2
3. Brian Brogan/Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Uriah Jones/Joel Trudel (ID), 8-2
1. Jan Macek (SCU) def. Tim Huynh (ID), 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (3)
2. Brian Brogan (SCU) def. Anthony Karlovic (ID), 6-2, 6-2
3. John Hieb (ID) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU), 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (12)
4. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Paulo Mirando (ID), 6-1, 6-1
5. Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Ned Hayley (ID), 6-0, 6-0
6. A.J. Kerin (SCU) leads Joel Trudel (ID), 6-1, 1-0