April 11, 2007
STANFORD, Calif. -
The Pepperdine Waves have won three straight heading into their final two regular-season matches after holding off the Stanford Cardinal, 4-3, at the
This was Pepperdine's first trip back to the site of where it won the program's first national title less than a year ago.
Things got off to a rocky start for Pepperdine as its No. 1 doubles team of Omar Altmann and Richard Johnson dropped an 8-3 decision to Matt Bruch and Blake Muller. Andre Begeman and Mahmoud Kamel evened the count with an 8-5 win over Richard Wire and Paul Morrissey on court No. 2 and Bassam Beidas and James Lemke secured the point for the visiting Waves with an 8-4 victory on court No. 3
Muller handed Lemke a straight-set loss on court No. 3 to tie the match at 1-1 but Begemann regained the Pepperdine edge with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Bruch at the No. 1 position. Eric McKean handed Johnson a 6-4, 6-4 defeat at the No. 4 position to knot the match at 2-2 and just three matches remaining.
Kamel pulled Pepperdine within one point of clinching the match with a 7-5, 6-0 victory at the No. 6 position but when Kevin Kaiser squeaked past Altmann, 7-6, 7-5 at the No. 5 position, all eyes turned to the one match that went three sets.
Beidas took a 1-0 lead in his match against Wire, 7-6, only to fall in the second set by the same score. But in the third and final set, it was all Beidas who clinched the victory with a 6-1 third-set victory.
Pepperdine closes out the 2007 regular season with two home matches, the first against
Doubles (Pepperdine wins doubles point)
1. No. 27 Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S) d. No. 40 Omar Altmann/Richard Johnson (P), 8-3
2. Andre Begemann/ Mahmoud Kamel (P) d. Richard Wire / Paul Morrissey (S), 8-5
3. Bassam Beidas/James Lemke (P) d. Eric McKean / Kevin Kaiser (S), 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. No. 13 Andre Begemann (P) d. Matt Bruch (S), 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 80 Bassam Beidas (P) d. No. 75 Richard Wire (S), 7-6, 6-7, 6-1
3. Blake Muller (S) d. James Lemke (P), 6-0, 6-3
4. Eric McKean (S) d. Richard Johnson (P), 6-4, 6-4
5. Kevin Kaiser (S) d. Omar Altmann (P), 7-6, 7-5
6. Mahmoud Kamel (P) d. David Ryan (S), 7-5, 6-0