April 17, 2007
SPOKANE, Wash. - - Marco Antonio Pineda of the Gonzaga University men's tennis team earned his 16th win of the spring and 22nd victory of the season Tuesday but it wasn't enough as the Bulldogs fell to visiting Eastern Washington University 5-2 in Spokane, Wash.
The loss breaks a five match win streak for the Bulldogs and drops the Zags to 11-13 overall. The Eagles improved to 12-9 for the year. Last week in Cheney the teams played to a 5-2 decision, with Gonzaga earning the win.
Pineda posted a point for the Bulldogs at No. 4 in singles play with a three-set victory over Patrick Millican. After posting a 6-3 victory in the opening set, the senior dropped the second set 0-6 before coming back to seal the win with a 6-1 decision in the third set.
Brett Womack also posted a singles victory for Gonzaga with a straight-set (7-5, 7-5) victory over Keithan Gregg at the No. 3 position.
Eastern Washington gained an early advantage by winning all three doubles matches to earn the doubles point.
The Zags will hit the courts against Friday during the opening day of the West Coast Conference Tournament in San Diego, Calif. Pairings and match times will be released by the conference later this week.
Eastern Washington 5, Gonzaga 2
April 17, 2007, in
1. Jonathan Davis/Patrick Millican (EWU) def. Zack Radetzky/Brett Womack (GU), 8-4
2. Pannhara Mam/Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Bryce Cooper/Roman Dojcak (GU), 8-5
3. Kevin Erickson/Keithan Gregg (EWU) def. Charles Adams/Marco Pineda (GU), 8-5
1. Pannhara Mam (EWU) def. Bryce Cooper (GU), 7-6, 6-0
2. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Roman Dojcak (GU), 6-1, 6-4
3. Brett Womack (GU) def. Keithan Gregg (EWU), 7-5, 7-5
4. Marco Antonio Pineda (GU) def. Patrick Millican (EWU), 6-3, 0-6, 6-1
5. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) def. Zack Radetzky (GU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Art Karas (EWU) def. Charles Adams (GU), 6-3, 6-3