April 19, 2008
No. 1 Pepperdine - 4
No. 4 San Francisco - 0
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The No. 14 ranked Pepperdine men's tennis team moved one step closer to bringing home their 18th straight WCC Championship trophy by defeating University of San Francisco, 4-0, on Saturday afternoon at the Degheri Tennis Center.
"The players did a great job, they played really well," said head coach Adam Steinberg. "The score is not always indicative of the quality of competition and San Francisco definitely gave us a tough match. We hope to defend our title tomorrow at 3 p.m."
The Waves (17-6) started the match off with wins in No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to win the doubles point. No. 28 Andre Begemann (Blomberg, Germany) and Omar Altmann (Cairo, Egypt) finished first with a victory over Asaf Cohen and Falko Huttenberger (USF), 8-1. Rickus de Villiers (South Africa) and Bassam Beidas (Cairo, Egypt) defeated Thong Tu and Rainer Nachbauer (USF) on the No. 2 court, 8-4.
No. 6 singles de Villiers secured a point for Pepperdine with a 6-2, 7-6, win over Mitch Del Rosario (USF). On the No. 3 court, Altmann defeated Cohen (USF), 7-6, 6-1 and Mahmoud Kamel (Paris, France) won on the No. 4 court by defeating Einar Hart (USF), 6-3, 6-4.
Sunday (April 20), the Waves play Saint Mary's for the WCC title, at 3 p.m.
Begemann/Altmann (PEP) def. Cohen/Huttenberger (USF), 8-1
Beidas/de Villiers (PEP) def. Tu/Rainer (USF), 8-4
Brogan/Kamel (PEP) vs. Del Rosario/Ching, 6-4 DNF
1. Andre Begemann (PEP) vs. Thong Tu (USF), 6-1, 6-7, DNF
2. Bassam Beidas (PEP) vs. Rainer Nachbauer (USF) , 4-6, 6-2, DNF
3. Omar Altmann (PEP) def. Asaf Cohen (USF), 7-6, 6-1
4. Mahmoud Kamel (PEP) def. Einer Hart (USF), 6-3, 6-4
5. Alex Moreno (PEP) vs. Falko Huttenberger (USF), 6-1, 5-1 DNF
6. Rickus de Villiers (PEP) def. Mitch Del Rosario (USF), 6-2, 7-6
No. 3 Saint Mary's - 4
No. 2 San Diego - 2
Santa Clara, CA - The No. 59 Saint Mary's men's tennis program will play for a shot at the West Coast Conference title, as they defeated San Diego in the second round, 4-2, and advanced to the championship match for the first time in program history. The Gaels earned the doubles point to take an early advantage, joined by three singles victories to record the win. Saint Mary's will face No. 14 Pepperdine in the conference championships, as they look to upset the defending champions.
Once again the doubles point was a hard fought battle on both sides, as the Gaels edged the Toreros in their two wins, 8-6. Saint Mary's lost the first match at the three position, but came back to win at both one and two. Joel Kusnierz and Lucas Tirelli paired up to defeat San Diego's Thomas Liversage and Chris Coetzee, while Marek Dvorak and Achim Christner topped Dean Jackson and Nils Schive.
In singles action, the first Gael to record a win was freshman Youssef El Bouzkouri, defeating his opponent 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 6 position. Achim Christner was next for Saint Mary's, beating San Diego's Chris Coetzee at the four spot, 7-5, 6-2. With the team scores at 3-2, Saint Mary's needed just one more singles win, as they looked to No. 77 Joel Kusnierz at the No. 1 position. With the pressure of the match on his back, the senior came through, narrowly defeating Thomas Liversage in the first set, 7-6, and coming out strong in the second, 7-3. With the win Kusnierz added to his impressive record, posting a 17-3 mark at the No. 1 position.
"I am very proud of the lads for all of their performances today," said head coach Michael Wayman. "This team is doing something that has never been done at Saint Mary's before."
Kusnierz and the Gaels look to make their mark in Saint Mary's tennis history, as they face Pepperdine in the championship match in Santa Clara, CA on Sunday, April 20 at 3:00 pm.
1. Kusnierz/Tirelli (SMC) def. Liversage/Coetzee (USD) 8-6
2. Dvorak/Christner (SMC) def. Jackson/Schive (USD) 8-6
3. Wolmarans/Brown (USD) def. Zannoni/El Bouzkouri (SMC) 8-4
1. Joel Kusnierz (SMC) def. Thomas Liversage (USD) 7-6, 7-3
2. Dean Jackson (USD) def. Lucas Tirelli (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Charl Wolmarans (USD) def. Marek Dvorak (SMC) 6-1, 5-7, 6-1
4. Achim Christner (SMC) def. Chris Coetzee (USD) 7-5, 6-2
5. Andrea Zannoni (SMC) def. Tamer Antabi (USD) 6-3, 4-6, 4-1 DNF
6. Youssef El Bouzkouri (SMC) def. Nils Schive (USD) 7-5, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,6,5,4,3,1)
No. 5 LMU - 4
No. 8 Santa Clara - 0
Santa Clara, Calif. - Fifth-seeded Loyola Marymount men's tennis advanced to the West Coast Conference consolation championship match with a 4-0 win over eighth-seeded Santa Clara Saturday morning. The Lions will play either seventh-seeded Gonzaga or sixth-seeded Portland Sunday at 11:00 a.m. for fifth place.
LMU jumped to an early 1-0 lead over the Broncos with wins at No. 2 and 3 doubles. Freshman Ivan Lopez and Johan Berhof defeated Jay Wong and John Iwanski on court two, 8-4, and sophomores Renzo Maggi and Nick Von Der Ahe won their match at No. 3 over Charlie Burke and Senthil Chidambaram, 8-6. Seniors Sam Tadevosian and Jacek Twarowski lost their match at No. 1 doubles to Jay Wong and Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong, 8-5.
The Lions brought their momentum from doubles play into singles, earning three quick wins to secure the 4-0 match victory. Berhof was first off the court, beating Burke at the No. 4 slot, 6-2, 6-2, followed by freshman Aris Andreasian who defeated Iwanski on court six, 6-1, 6-3, and Nikolic who won his match over the Broncos' Justin Wong, 6-0, 6-1 at No. 5 singles.
Twarwoski, Lopez and Tadevosian did not finish their matches as WCC Championship rules say play concludes when a team clinches the fourth point.
LMU now faces either seventh-seeded Gonzaga or sixth-seeded Portland for fifth place in the WCC. The teams will begin play at 11:00 a.m. Sunday.
1. Wong/Hirakawa-Wong (SCU) def. Twarowski/Tadevosian (LMU) 8-5
2. Berhof/Lopez (LMU) def. Wong/Iwanski (SCU) 8-4
3. Maggi/Von Der Ahe (LMU) def. Burke/Chidambaram (SCU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Jay Wong (SCU) def. Jacek Twarowski (LMU) 7-6, 7-6 DNF
2. Ivan Lopez (LMU) vs. Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong (SCU) 4-6, 6-1 DNF
3. Sam Tadevosian (LMU) vs. Senthil Chidambaram (SCU) 6-2, 5-7 DNF
4. Johan Berhof (LMU) def. Charlie Burke (SCU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Stefan Nikolic (LMU) def. Justin Wong (SCU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Aris Andreasian (LMU) def. John Iwanski (SCU) 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 6, 5, 1, 3, 2
No. 6 Portland - 4
No. 7 Gonzaga - 0
Match report to come.
1. Zivkovic/Yemm (POR) def. Feddersen.Radetzky (GON) 8-3
2. Schleining/Domoney (POR) def. Feeney/Fratt (GON) 8-6
3. Napolsky/Dojcak (GON) def. Kincaid/Thorp (POR) 9-7
1. Joel Kincaid (POR) def. Stefan Feddersen (GON) 6-3, 6-2
2. Filip Zivkovic (POR) def. Roman Dojcak (GON) 6-2, 6-3
3. Dillon Pottish (POR) vs. Conor Feeney (GON) 7-5, 3-4 DNF
4. Zack Radetzky (GON) def. Evan Schleining (POR)7-5, 4-2 DNF
5. Bryan Thorp (POR) vs. Cooper Fratt (GON) 6-2, 1-6 DNF
6. Charlie Yemm (POR) def. Charles Adams (GON) 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 3, 2); Singles (6,2,5,1,3,4)