April 21, 2006
MORAGA, Calif. - The University of San Diego men's tennis team will advance to Saturday's semifinal match of the 2006 West Coast Conference Championships. The Toreros defeated the Portland Pilots 4-0 Friday afternoon on the campus of St. Mary's in Moraga, Calif. The Toreros, seeded second in the tournament, finished the regular season ranked 34th in the nation with an overall record of 13-5. The Pilots were seeded seventh.
San Diego clinched their first point with two victories in the doubles ladder. Seniors Pierrick Ysern and Oscar Plotnik teamed up to take an 8-5 victory over Portland's Scott Kennel and James Redpath. Jonas Mouly and Mirza Koristovic defeated Matt Loucks and Joel Kincaid 9-8 to win the doubles point for USD.
In singles, No. 36 Pierrick Ysern easily defeated Portland's Loucks 6-3, 3-0 at the No. 1 spot. Ryo Sekiguchi's 6-0, 6-2 win over Alex Strom at No. 5 singles gave San Diego their third point and Jonas Mouly claimed the Torero victory at the No. 6 spot with a 6-2, 4-1 win over Carlo Machado.
San Diego will face either Santa Clara or Loyola Marymount Saturday at 3:00 p.m. in the semifinal match. In other tournament action, Pepperdine, ranked 5th nationally and seeded first, defeated Gonzaga 4-0 and San Francisco took a narrow 4-3 win over St. Mary's. For all the latest tournament action, updates, and scores, check www.usdtoreros.com.
San Diego 4, Portland 0
1. Pierrick Ysern (USD) def. Matt Loucks (POR) 6-3, 3-0
2. James Redpath (POR) vs. Oscar Plotnik (USD) no result
3. Scott Kennel (POR) vs. Thomas Liversage (USD) no result
4. Joel Kincaid (POR) vs. Mirza Koristovic (USD) no result
5. Ryo Sekiguchi (USD) def. Alex Strom (POR) 6-0, 6-2
6. Jonas Mouly (USD) def. Carlo Machado (POR) 6-2, 4-1
1. Pierrick Ysern/Oscar Plotnik (USD) def. Scott Kennel/James Redpath (POR) 8-5
2. Jonas Mouly/Mirza Koristovic (USD) def. Matt Loucks/Joel Kincaid (POR) 9-8
3. Alex Strom/Carlo Machado (POR) vs. Thomas Liversage/Chris Coetzee (USD) no result