April 21, 2006
For complete tournament results, please click here.
Moraga, Calif. - The Santa Clara men's tennis team held up its seed this afternoon in the first round of the West Coast Conference Championships by beating sixth-seeded Loyola Marymount 4-0 in Moraga, Calif. Third-seeded Santa Clara was able to set a date with second-seeded San Diego tomorrow morning after easily handling the Lions line-ups in both singles and doubles.
"We played very solid tennis today in doubles and singles. That has given us the opportunity to move one step closer to the final," stated head coach George Husack. "San Diego is a very good team and we'll have to be at the top of our game again to secure a victory."
Santa Clara improves its record to 14-13 on the year, upping its conference record to 6-2, and will return to action tomorrow morning in the WCC Round of Four against San Diego. Game time is slated for 11 a.m.
The Broncos claimed the doubles point after taking two out of three contests to go up 1-0 early in the match. Kevin McQuaid and Blane Shields defeated Mike Wojnarowicz and Linas Cicena 8-5 at the No. 1 position, though Nico Terrien and Mike Chan beat Brian Brogan and Tommy Hicks 8-5 at the No. 3 spot to even things up. Jan Macek and Bobby Rasmussen put Santa Clara up 1-0 after taking out Carlos Malet and Matt Phillips 8-5 on Court 2.
After playing a solid round of doubles, the Broncos continued their excellent play in singles after winning the first three contests to secure a spot into the semifinals. A.J. Kerin was first off the court with a 6-2, 6-4 triumph over Mike Chan at the No. 6 spot and McQuaid made the score 3-0 after he took out Reyniere Roxas 6-3, 6-4. Rasmussen was able to clinch the dual match thanks to a relatively easy 6-1, 6-4 victory over Linas Cicenas. After reaching the necessary fourth point, all matches were abandonded.
Santa Clara 4, Loyola Marymount 0
Doubles (Santa Clara wins the doubles point)
1. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU) def. Mike Wojnarowicz/Linas Cicenas(LMU) 8-4
2. Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Carlos Malet/Matt Phillips (LMU) 8-5
3. Nico Terrien/Mike Chan (LMU) def. Brian Brogan/Tommy Hicks (SCU) 8-5
1. Nico Terrien (LMU) vs. Jan Macek (SCU), DNF
2. Mike Wojnarowicz (LMU) vs. Brian Brogan (SCU), DNF
3. Kevin McQuaid (SCU) def. Reyniere Roxas (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Linas Cicenas (LMU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Matt Phillips (LMU) vs. Tommy Hicks (SCU), DNF
6. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Mike Chan (LMU) 6-2, 6-4