April 21, 2006
Moraga, Calif. - In the opening round of the West Coast Conference Championships, sixth-seeded Loyola Marymount men's tennis fell to third-seed Santa Clara (14-13) 4-0. The Lions (13-12) will now play Portland Saturday at 11:00 a.m. for a right to play for fifth place Sunday.
The Lions entered the match having won 12 of their last 17 matches, but could not carry the momentum over Friday. In the final match of the first day of competition at host Saint Mary's, the Broncos won the doubles point after wins at No. 1 and No. 2.
Needing three singles match victories to clinch the winning fourth point, Santa Clara recorded the wins at the No. 3, No. 4, and No. 6 spots in singles.
Per WCC Championship rules, play stops once the deciding fourth point is recorded.
Sixth-seeded LMU will now battle seventh-seeded Portland Saturday morning at 11:00 a.m. The winner will advance to the consolation final to play for the fifth place standing in the WCC. The Lions finished fifth at the 2005 championship.
Santa Clara 4, Loyola Marymount 0
1. Nico Terrien (LMU) vs. Jan Macek (SCU) DNF
2. Mike Wojnarowicz (LMU) vs. Brian Brogan (SCU) DNF
3. Kevin McQuaid (SCU) def. Reyniere Roxas (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Linas Cicenas (LMU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Matt Phillips (LMU) vs. Tommy Hicks (SCU) DNF
6. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Mike Chan (LMU) 6-2, 6-4
1. McQuaid/Shields (SCU) def. Wojnarowicz/Cicenas(LMU) 8-4
2. Macek/Rasmussen (SCU) def. Malet/Phillips (LMU) 8-5
3. Terrien/Chan (LMU) def. Brogan/Hicks (SCU) 8-5